Tuesday 28 September 2010

Asters in Autumn

I had intended to plant my narcissus and muscari bulbs over the weekend, but the weather wasn't conducive to staying outside for any length of time. I did manage to take a few photos and was very pleased with the aster display at the moment. They are the aster novae angliae varieties which are resistant to mildew and are very reliable. The yellow accent is provided by Helianthus Lemon Queen.
This delicate aster ericoides has taken a long time to start flowering but is worth the wait with small lilac flowers. I have been interested to watch the buds develop and was concerned that the weather would change before it had a chance to flower, but I needn't have worried. These plants are giving that final flourish before the onset of autumn proper.

No comments:

Post a Comment