Thursday 23 September 2010

Terracotta Pot

We visited Mum and Dad last Sunday and Mum gave me this rather gorgeous terracotta pot. It has a very satisfying shape and lends itself well to small bulbs for Spring, I think. My bulb order arrived yesterday and I think the little daffodil 'Tete a Tete' and Muscari latifolium, which are like the usual grape hyacinth but with broader leaves and flowers that are shaded from dark blue up to light, will go in this pot very nicely. I bought some violas which would look lovely on the top and give me something cheerful to look at while waiting for the bulbs to grow.

I also ordered some narcissus 'Pheasant eye' ( the above photo is from http://www.theplantexpert.com/ ), as they remind me of my Granny, who loved that variety, and also received some free tulip bulbs which I won't plant until October at the earliest as they are more vulnerable to diseases if planted too early. Once I have planted the pot, I'll post a photo of it.
I planted up a small trough yesterday with two cyclamen coum, two scillas and some muscari, so I hope that will look good from January onwards. The cyclamen are already putting out their gorgeous marbled leaves.
I always enjoy bulb planting time as it is a time to look forward to next Spring and enjoy the thought of yellow daffodils dancing in the breeze.

No comments:

Post a Comment