Thursday 23 August 2012

Macramé and jewellery making

 I have attempted my first macramé...ever!  I have been thinking that I would like to have a go, with regard to jewellery making, as it adds a whole new dimension to the gemstones.  I have seen a few examples using the beading thread too, which will be my next challenge, once I have got used to using cord, rather than this cotton string which you see in the photos.  The spiral pattern above is my favourite so far.
I think this one is the square knot technique which is used for making sliding knots too.
 I am starting to get the hang of it, I think!
My first attempt at a fancy sliding knot.  I have discovered that cotton string is not the best material to use because it doesn't actually slide very easily, but with a bit of gentle persuasion, it does work.  The next thing is to get myself some proper cord and make a bracelet, I think.  I do enjoy a challenge!

7 comments:

  1. Ooh they look great Ellie! I've never heard of macramé before - is it easy?
    Victoria xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Victoria
    Thank you for your comment. Macramé has been around for a long time and enjoyed a massive revival in the 1960s and 1970s being used for things like pot hangers and jewellery. These are the first attempts I have ever had at macramé, so yes, it is easy! You need a piece of hardboard or thick card to work on, 2 bulldog clips and the cord. There is 1 string called the 'lazy string' which is the one you thread beads on, but dosn't really do anything else. Then you attach 2 other strings which are the ones that are knotted round to create the patterns. I got my information from watching jewellery maker (www.jewellerymaker.com)who have made a basic macramé jewellery DVD which you can find at: http://www.jewellerymaker.com/searchToolkits.aspx#page=2 but there are lots of tutorials out there in web land and books too. Friendship bracelets use a form of macramé as well. I think I could get quite addicted! Once I have made a proper bracelet ot two, I'll post about it.
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for all that info Ellie, I will be checking that website out later. Looking forward to seeing your bracelets!
      Victoria xx

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the above information Ellie. I saw some Macrame on another blog recently and was very intrigued. I have been making friendship bracelets a lot this summer and wanted to have a go at something a bit more grown up and sophisticated. You've inspired me to have a go.

    Gillian x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Gillian
      Thank you for your comment. Macramé is an intriguing craft and I am looking forward to seeing what I can make, especially using the beading wire. Good Luck with your own jewellery projects and please let me know how you get on.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  4. I used to do this, years ago ... I'd practically forgotten about it as a craft. Thanks for the reminder, and happy knotting :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Annie
      Thank you for your comment. I have vague recollections of various macramé plant holder-type things from my youth, but I am hoping the jewellery will be a bit more sophisticated. I think it is something I'll be able to do while watching TV because once you know which side you are starting with, it seems to be quite rhythmical (well, that's from the little bit I have done so far!) I'll post photos when I have actually managed to make something.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete