Monday 21 October 2013

Memory Wire bracelet and Tassel necklace

I have been busy experimenting with new jewellery techniques and also trying to complete a piece which has been quite complicated.  Above is my first ever memory wire bracelet, made using opal chips, labradorite rondelles, silver pearls and peacock pearls.  I made it as a surprise for my sister's birthday, as her birthstone is opal. I hope she likes it.  I really enjoyed the process of threading the chips onto the wire - time consuming but quite therapeutic.
 My latest polymer clay book was this one by Debbie Bulford (who is the polymer clay expert on jewellerymaker.)  I was very taken with this design on the front and was pretty sure I could make my own version of it.  I had two attempts, one using translucent clay, which was suggested in the book, but I thought the colour mix was too brown.  I tried again and lightened the colours, but I still wasn't happy.  So, not to be defeated, the third attempt used pearl clay instead of translucent and I was happy with the result!
 Here's my version of the tassel pendant, using polymer clay and amazonite, with a wooden doughnut bead at the top.  I altered the main bead design to make it my own and the colours are brighter than Debbie's design.
Here's now it will look as a necklace - I am really pleased with it.
 Here are two pendants I made for myself using the simple flower cane design (again from Debbie's book), but with centres in colours to co-ordinate with my work clothes.
I like the geometric pattern and the shine that the pearl clay gives to the 'petals'.  I think it is simple, but effective.


10 comments:

  1. Stunning. Truly beautiful! That necklace will be treasured...you are so talented! Chrissie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chrissie. I think I'll be making more memory wire bracelets as I really enjoyed making this one. It is great to be able to personalise them using birthstones as well.
      Polymer clay is a fantastic medium too and so much can be done with it - I am really loving exploring so many different techniques.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. You are a Polymer artist Ellie! You make beautiful things....
    So nice to see them on your blog! Love from Mirjam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mirjam. I really enjoy using polymer clay and have just ordered another book which is all about surface decoration on polymer clay. I am really looking forward to receiving it.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  3. lovely jewellery, polymer clay is so versatile, your pieces look almost glass like

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Wendy. I think that is the pearl clay that I used, because it does give a shine and reflective quality. It is fast becoming my favourite clay colour!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  4. Ellie your necklace is gorgeous. I really love lobradorite and would love this necklace. I am sure your sister will treasure this beauty for the rest of her life. You are so talented Ellie and I love your polymer clay makes, they are gorgeous!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Hannapat. I love the experimenting I am doing with my jewellery making. I have lots of strands of gemstone chips which I wasn't sure what to do with, but I think memory wire bracelets may be the way to go! My polymer clay work is improving a lot too and I am really enjoying all the different techniques I have been trying out.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  5. Your creativity knows no bounds, both of the necklaces are beautiful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Toffeeapple. These projects were inspired by someone else's work, but I have tried to change them to make them my interpretation. I am really pleased with them. I wore the tassel necklace at work today and had a number of positive comments, which was lovely.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete