Monday, 5 May 2014
Apricot Rock Cakes
225g/8oz self raising flour
110g/4oz granulated sugar
175g/6oz dried but ready to eat apricots
a little milk to mix
brown sugar to sprinkle on tops
Makes 18 cakes.
1. Heat oven to gas mark 7/220 degrees centigrade/435 degrees fahrenheit. Lightly grease 2 baking trays.
2. Sift flour into mixing bowl and rub in the margarine.
3. Add sugar and apricots. Make a well in the centre.
4. Beat the egg, then add to dry ingredients with a little milk, to make a stiff consistency.
5. Place the mixture in rough heaps on the baking trays, leaving a little space between them as they will spread a bit. Sprinkle on some brown sugar
6. Bake for approx 10 mins (mine take longer but I have a very old oven) until golden brown.
7. Cool on wire rack. Once cool, test quality of rock cakes (cook's prerogative) and enjoy!
Of course, if you don't have problems with dried fruit, you can put whatever you like in the cakes; traditionally it is mixed dried fruit. Dried cranberries, dried blueberries... Chocolate chips might be a nice addition too...