Tuesday 17 March 2015

Vintage Fair at Kelham Hall

We headed to Kelham Hall last Saturday, to go to the Big Vintage festival.  We were looking forward to it, but at the same time, weren't quite sure what to expect.
Kelham Hall is an impressive place, although somewhat of a mish-mash of styles.  The main building is Victorian Gothic, but there is also a large chapel, called The Dome, which was built in the 1920s by the monks who owned it at the time.
As we went in, we could only see one room and were disappointed, but then we found that there were lots more stalls in the Dome as well, so we were relieved about that. The signage could have benefited from being more obvious!
Before I tell you what I bought, I did spend a lot of time looking upwards. The ceilings were amazing.
 Yes, it's over the top, but you have got to love the Victorian Pugin-esque decoration!
 Flashes of gold abounded and there were very few unpainted areas.
 It could be a Cathedral.
 There were amazing carvings on the many pillars too.  We would love to go back and have a proper guided tour so that's something to add to the list.
 So, what did I buy?  Well, as you know, I do enjoy buying material and yes, that's what I bought this time.  The daisy pattern material reminded me of some pottery bowls we have at home and was so cheerful that it just had to be purchased.  Then there was an embroidered dressing table set.  I immediately thought that I could cut off the embroidery (said very quietly, as it could be thought to be sacrilegious!)and applique it to something else, like bunting.
 I love the butterfly motifs and I would like to be able to see them, rather than have them languishing in a drawer somewhere! It is very careful embroidery.
This mad green patterned material and I have met before, as I saw it at a previous vintage fair I went to and deliberated about it, before putting it back.  So, when I saw it again, I thought, it's fate - I am meant to have it!  It is a cotton and I think there is enough to make a sleeveless summery top.  Yet another thing to add to my 'It would be nice to make that...' list!  Unfortunately, there are no tea and cake photos as we didn't have any - the tea room was far too busy and the bar just didn't have the right ambiance!  I also paid a deposit on a 1950s style dress with a full skirt in a pink rose print which was lovely, but just a little big around the waist.  The lady from Unique Frocks is going to alter it for me, so I am looking forward to getting that in a few weeks' time.
I haven't talked about the blue materials which can be seen in the top photo, but they came from the Newark Antiques Centre which we visited before heading home and there is a story to be told there, but that is for another post...

6 comments:

  1. What fun.
    I would have spent a LOT of time looking up as well.
    Looking forward to hearing about the guided tour in the fullness of time as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, EC. It was very difficult not to keep looking up as there was so much decoration to see. If we do get a guided tour, I'll certainly post about it. I think it is a very interesting building with a rich history.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. I can understand why you would spend a lot of time looking up, with a ceiling like that. Sounds like you had a very enjoyable day. I do love all the old British buildings that you are able to visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linny. The lovely interiors were rather distracting! It was a very enjoyable day out though and I always like looking round interesting buildings, especially if it is a first visit.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  3. I had no idea this place existed and I live in Nottingham! I also didn't realise you lived around here too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Wendy. Kelham Hall is not that far from Nottingham at all. Yes, I am about an hour away from you (or thereabouts). Small world, eh?
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete