Sunday 20 September 2015

The gradual descent into Autumn

Having a garden does make you aware of the changes of the seasons.  Looking round, you can tell that it is Autumn (even if the calendar says it is 23rd September officially).   The signs are already there - japanese anemones (above is Lady Maria), asters, grasses, fruits and berries.
 One of my novae-angliae asters (Mrs S.T Wright, I think) in a pretty shade of lilac.
 Aster Little Carlow is also flowering away and attracting lots of bees,
 Just in case it is all rather pastel coloured, here's a shot of colour in the form of Crocosmia Emily Mackenzie (my absolute favourite Crocosmia...so far).
 Elegant grasses like this Miscanthus - soft and very tactile.  Behind, you can see the feathery foliage of Cosmos (which is so late to flower this year and hasn't been very promising throughout the summer.  I tried some different varieties this year, but it will be back to tried and tested Cosmos Sonata Dwarf next year).
 Another japanese anemone (Bowles' Pink).
 I love this combination of the Crocosmia and Geranium Rozanne (two of my favourites looking amazing together).
 Another aster, September Ruby, with a happy bee in the centre.
 Here is a close up of the bee.
There are still some reminders of summer, for those of us who don't want it to leave.  Here is Rose Frilly Cuff  in its second flowering and doing well.
This is Rose Comte de Chambord, one of the parents of Rose Gertrude Jekyll, with the recognisable strong fragrance.  One of my new roses this year, I bought it in June, really past the bare root plant season, as a bare root.  It arrived looking very much worse for wear,  pale, limp and not at all happy. I popped it into a pot, not really expecting much from it at all.  In fact, if it survived, I would be surprised. However, as the summer progressed, it started to improve, put out new leaves and look much stronger and healthier.  Then it decided to flower and I was delighted.  The flowers are beautiful and have a lovely scent, as I mentioned.
I keep reading about the predictions for this winter to be one of the coldest in the UK since 1962/3, which is a bit worrying, especially as half my garden is full of pots.  I always protect them, but if this winter turns out to be as predicted, I may have to utilise my shed more.
I am going to enjoy the autumn as much as I can in the meantime.  Blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, apples, crumbles, cakes and pies, as well as the lovely autumn flowers and leaf colours. I hope those of you sharing the seasons with the UK will enjoy it too.


A big welcome to my new followers - it is lovely to see you and I hope you will enjoy my blog.

9 comments:

  1. I'm definitely a summer girl so I try to cling on for as long as I can, however, I've noticed the blueberry bushes turning their beautiful red colour today so I won't be able to pretend much longer. The crocosmia and geranium do look lovely together, such a beautiful colour combination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo. My blueberry bushes are hanging on in there at the moment, but it won't be long before their leaves change, I think. I have only gradually started to like orange in the garden and combinations like this one seem to work so well.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. Beautiful flowers, love the blue and orange combination...leaves everywhere here, this year is flying by too fast for me....xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dotty's Daughter. It does feel that the year is racing through, doesn't it? It doesn't seem five minutes ago since it was Spring!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  3. Autumn is such a vibrant, exciting time. Overlooking for the beauties of Spring often, but both stir my heart, my soul, my senses.
    Thank you for sharing this magic. I hope the weather boffins are the strangers to the truth that they so often are, and that winter doesn't bite too hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, EC. I enjoy Autumn too, with the gradual changes which can be seen. I wish I had room for one of the 'toffee apple' trees - Cercidiphyllum Japonicum - I love the burnt sugar scent of its leaves on a sunny Autumn day. If I ever get a next garden, I shall definitely have one!
      I hope they are mistaken about the Winter too. We shall have to wait and see.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  4. It's so lovely to be able to enjoy those last bits of summer, isn't it? I am doing the same overhere... :-).
    I hear the same rumours about very cold winter weather! If not too bad, I would love it.
    Being able to do some ice skating if I dare after all those years.
    Love from Mirjam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mirjam. It is lovely to get a few sunny late summer/early autumn days to enjoy. We had a lovely weekend with blue skies, but it is raining again now.
      I like the cold weather if I am inside and don't have to go anywhere!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  5. Such beautiful flowers still in your garden! The asters and roses are especially pretty aren't they! xx

    ReplyDelete