Tuesday 25 July 2017

Please keep checking your bank statements/transactions

(Sad face from: http://www.adventureswithwords.com/2014/11/podcast-sad-face/  Angry face from:  http://agk.wikia.com/wiki/File:Angry_face.png )
Here's how I'm feeling today!
I called in to the bank this morning, as I do pretty much every week, to keep an eye on my spending and on my accounts generally. Today, there were some payments on one account which I did not make.  So, I went to the counter and the account was checked for me.  It seems that someone had got hold of my card details from the internet and had been having a lovely time spending my hard earned money.  (Some of the things they had been spending on were just not very nice.)  My card was blocked immediately and I now need to keep checking the account as the payments were pending and until they appear on the account statement, the bank aren't able to start fraud investigations.  I was assured that my money was safe, despite appearances to the contrary.  So, I'll be back at the bank on Thursday to check again.
Please do keep a close eye on your accounts and make sure you know what you are spending and what payments you have made.  It is a really horrible and shocking experience and is awful to know that someone has your card details and is spending your money on whatever they want. I'll keep you posted with any developments.

8 comments:

  1. Good luck. I am so glad that you spotted it relatively early and that the bank will not release your money. Sad for the companies also affected by the thief though. They will have lost goods/services and won't be paid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, EC. I'm glad I spotted it when I did too. It's such a nasty thing to do as it affects so many people and companies, as you so rightly pointed out. The person or persons responsible seems to have been able to spend really quickly too. It's so sad that it is happening all the time, all over the world.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. How awful, thank goodness you do check regularly. There are some dreadful people out there xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cheryl. I wouldn't have necessarily noticed except that my balance was odd and there was a payment to a company I hadn't made. Thank goodness I did query it.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  3. Oh Ellie, that's awful. What a horrid thing to happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, CT. It was awful but it could have been worse, so I'm thankful for that. I will be extra vigilant in the future.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy. I am going to the bank again tomorrow so will have something to report. The worst thing about it is I'm not the first and certainly won't be the last, so other people will also have to go through this.
      Some people are so horrible - thank goodness there are still nice ones around too.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete