Saturday 12 August 2017

Jewellery and gardening

 My best friend who lives in Canada had a big birthday at the end of July and I knew that I wanted to make her a proper, hand knotted pearl necklace with sterling silver findings.  I gathered everything I needed; pearls, silk thread, sterling silver toggle clasp, sterling silver beads, sterling silver french wire and watched many a video on the internet as well as consulted books on the subject.  I decided to use a pair of jewellery tweezers to help with the knots as I felt this looked the most user friendly way to choose.  I stretched the silk thread the day or so before starting in order to lessen the stretch once the necklace is worn.  It took an afternoon to do the knotting and threading, after a couple of false starts and a few choice words.  I was really pleased with the end result.
 I duly sent the jewellery off, but as sometimes happens, circumstances conspired against me and the parcel's progress went a bit quiet.  I had sent it with tracking and signed for, to try to ensure it arrived safely, but after a good fifteen days, missing my friend's big day (bother), it hadn't arrived and I was more than a little worried.  However, when I checked the tracking progress again, it suddenly reappeared and my friend has now received it.  She left me a lovely phone message and I think she liked it!  
The garden is slowly starting to show its late summer colour - this year, the dominant colours are blue/purple/lilac, thanks to the agapanthus, clematis and hibiscus.
 One of my favourite plants for July/August is Hibiscus Syriacus 'Oiseau Bleu/Bluebird' which has the most exotic looking flowers and which has flowered brilliantly this year.  It is always featured on my blog.
However, to offset all the pastels, I have enjoyed seeing the crocosmia (here, it is 'Columbus') unfurling, with the rich yellows and oranges providing a lovely hit of colour.  Lots to enjoy in the August garden.

6 comments:

  1. It's always a risky business sending overseas is't it but glad that you gift arrived safely. I love the necklace and your flowers are beautiful. Like you I'd like more garden but it will be a miracle if I ever get it.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Briony. Usually I don't have any problems sending gifts to Canada, as long as I send them tracked and signed for, but it is typical that this one took longer than usual to get there.
      A little more garden would be lovely...I live in hope (and squeeze in as much as I can in the meantime).
      Best wishes
      Ellie
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. Of course your friend liked it. Indeed I would go so far as to say she LOVED it.
    Loving your garden colour too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, EC. You're very kind (and always encouraging). Despite the black spot on the roses (for some reason, this year black spot seems to be terrible in my garden), I am enjoying the way the garden is changing colours as the seasons progress and different plants take centre stage. Nature is a wonderful artist.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  3. A beautiful thoughtful gift, glad it arrived safely. Your garden looks like it's still in full bloom xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cheryl. I'm really pleased it arrived safely - I had visions of having to re-create it. I don't know what caused the delay though.
      I try to have something in bloom for most of the year, although Winter is still the trickiest season. Having a small garden forces me to think about plants with long seasons of interest too, but there are those plants, like peonies, which may only flower for a short while, but which I can't resist.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete