I am still loving the course, enjoying some weeks more than others, but giving everything a go! It is giving me a lot to think about.
Wednesday, 24 February 2021
Thursday, 18 February 2021
In order to get my snowdrop fix, I suggested to Chris that we walk into the city centre to a little cemetery which we used to drive past on the way back from work sometimes. Last Thursday, the weather was sunny with blue skies and although it was cold, we decided it would be the perfect time to go. So we did. The cemetery itself has been used for centuries - since the Iron Age, according to the board pictured above. There are London Plane trees, sycamores and limes here too. Considering it is in a relatively busy part of the city, on a through-road, it was extremely peaceful and there was a bird singing while we were there, which we really enjoyed listening to.
Sunday, 14 February 2021
Easy Ginger Cake Recipe (One Step, Vegan)
This vegan easy ginger cake is delicious, and made entirely from store cupboard ingredients. Simply put all the ingredients into a mixer and whizz. Swap in your favourite gluten free flour to make this gluten free. Free-form baking made easy. Egg Free, Dairy Free and Vegan.
Author: Helen Best-Shaw
Prep Time 10 mins
Cook Time 40 mins
Total Time 50 mins
• 350 g Plain Flour
• 225 g Sugar (soft dark brown)
• 100 ml Vegetable oil
• 2-3 tsp ground ginger
• 1 tsp baking powder
• ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
• Pinch salt
• 4 tbsp black treacle / molasses (about 60g) (I substituted golden syrup – worked fine, just not so dark in colour)
• 225 ml water
• ½- 1 tsp ground cinnamon ((optional))
• ½-1 tsp ground all spice ((optional))
• Dash chilli powder ((optional))
• Handful dried dates or figs ((optional))
1. Place all the ingredients into the food processor bowl, or mixer and whizz until you have a smooth golden brown batter. ( I mixed it in a bowl as I don’t have a food processor/mixer – again worked fine)
2. Pour into 8” square pan lined with greaseproof paper and bake at GM4/180C/355F for about 35 – 40 mins until risen and a cocktail stick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
• When weighing the treacle put the spoon into a jug on the scales, then zero them, use the spoon to dollop the treacle into the jug without scraping the spoon I then re-zero the scales and weigh 225g of boiling water into the jug which will dissolve all the treacle which saves any sticky scraping for spoon to food processor bowl. As the recipe is so forgiving accurate measuring is really not necessary.
• To make this gluten free, swap out the flour for gluten free flour
• This recipe can be made with wholewheat flour