here. As you may remember, I made the one on the left, which I wrote about here changing the positioning of the ties and it looked awful on, so I decided to see whether I could alter it, rather than waste the material.
Thursday, 28 June 2018
Saturday, 23 June 2018
Left column: top, Darcey Bussell; middle, Jacques Cartier; bottom, Ferdinand Pichard
Middle column: top, Rosa Mundi, bottom, Pride and Prejudice (that was a birthday present this February)
Right column: top, Winchester Cathedral; middle, For Your Eyes Only; bottom, a vase of Gertrude Jekyll, Cottage Rose, Mary Rose and Ferdinand Pichard.
The peonies were a bit slow this year, probably due to the cold snap in February and March, but they were worth waiting for. They may only flower for a short time but they do provide a 'wow'. These are patio peonies, Rome, Athens and Madrid (not necessarily in that order!)
Other roses have started to flower too and the clematis are also making their presence felt, so there may well be more photos to come.
Sunday, 17 June 2018
It was my sister's birthday, so I made her a card using hydrangea stamps and the large image in the centre is embossed and watercoloured too. One of the great things about stamps is that you can decorate the envelope too.
I have plans to create some cards with positive sentiments to have on my wall at work, so they will be the next project.
In other news, you may remember that I was going to make the tunic dresses featured above. I made a toile first as I knew that the shoulders would probably need altering. I had also read on other blogs that the pattern on the left was not designed for curvy figures and the ties were too high up and hit a fuller bust in the wrong place. Armed with this knowledge, I brought them down to waist level. I also thought the pockets were a bit too big, so used a pocket from another pattern. So, I worked away, making the necessary alternations as I went and happily sewing. Here's the finished product.
So, what could I do? Well, I could donate it, or alter it again. I measured it against the tunic dress pattern I have made before and it would work, so I unpicked it all and have started re-making it. I will post a photo once I have finished. So, lesson learned - some styles just don't suit me, so I should stick to the things which do. I am going to make the other pattern up next though and I have made a toile and tried it on. It's a simple shape with a tie belt and I think it will work nicely - let's hope it does...
Monday, 11 June 2018
...and the view from one of the bridges.
(collages created using picmonkey)
There were installations such as these trees and this foxglove. There was a moving sculpture which fascinated me but which reminded me of an alien - in a photo, it is much less impressive.
There 'long borders' were alive with insects too and contained some lovely planting combinations. The theme was 'movement'.
Inside the 'glass house' was this amazing display of orchids, with ferns and lilies. I spent a lot of the time in there saying 'wow'. It was stunning.
Finally, a little sisyrinchium biscutella whose beigey-purple flowers close when they are out of the sun.
It was a lovely day and I am already looking forward to next year.
Sunday, 3 June 2018
I had seen similar ornaments in ceramic (which I had coveted) in a local craft shop and also on Moonlight and Hares (Karen Davies makes the most beautiful hares which sell out in seconds, but I do have a hare card and print from her which I love) so decided to zhuzh (or zhoosh or zhush, depending where you look) my hare up. As she (I think she is a she) had the night sky decoration, this dictated the gemstones I used. Chris very kindly drilled three small holes along her tummy and I set to work creating the dangles.
I chose to use silver plated wire as it echoed the silver moonlight. I had a lot of fun deciding which of my rather large stash of gemstones to use, but chose those which said 'night', 'moon' , 'ethereal' or 'magical' to me (and are also some of my favourites). I used amethyst, rainbow moonstone, coated haematite and blue goldstone on the first dangle (to the left). The middle one has a pearl, a haematite star and the original moon charm. The third one (on the right) has a blue pearl, crystal quartz and a labradorite on it. I created a wire spiral to hang her from and dropped a little silver pearl from the centre. I am really pleased with the end result and she looks just how I imagined she would (which is often not the case, in my experience).
Edited to add: thanks to Briony for the idea - here are some photos with a ruler to give you an idea of her size -
She's about 16.5 cm in length...