Sunday 19 November 2017

Cakes and cards

 In amongst preparing for the craft fair, birthdays of friends and colleagues have come and gone.  My colleague, Leanne, had a big birthday last year and I made her the cake above with birthday bunting.
 This year, it was the same 'Russion Roulette Revels cake', minus the bunting.  I have written about this cake before and it is a great recipe, keeps moist and has the most delicious chocolate fudge icing, but works equally well with chocolate buttercream.  The Revels are a chocolate coated sweet, with various fillings - honeycomb, toffee, orange, chocolate, raisins and coffee.  The last two are my least favourite and I usually get more than my fair share of them!  Leanne says she always looks forward to this cake.
 I have also been making cards, again with bunting (a bit of a theme is developing here, but it is very celebratory, isn't it?).  This was for a birthday in September.
 This was Leanne's card this year.  I used glossy accents on the bunting to make it shine and used a kit to create the card.
 This is for a colleague's 50th birthday this week and involved stamping, heat embossing, glitter and glitter paper.  It was very enjoyable to make too.
 I added a few stamps and die cut numbers to the inside too.
The great thing about using stamps is that the envelope can be decorated too.  I have a feeling that I may be making more cards in the future... in fact, my mum is 80 in less than a month, so that is a perfect reason to make another card.

4 comments:

  1. Both the cards and the cake would make an celebration special. Very special. The cards would become trasured mementos too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, EC. I think I could get quite addicted to cake making - there is something very satisfying in seeing it all come together.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. I’m rather fond of revels and my least favourites are the same as yours. What a fantastic cake and it’s always special to receive something handmade, I rather like stamping too xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cheryl. I really enjoy all my different hobbies, even more so when I make things for people. I think stamping may well become one of my favourites!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete