Saturday 4 May 2013

Tulipmania begins!

My tulips are looking fantastic!  If you need a boost of bright colour, you have come to the right place.

These are the Tulip Triumph Double - a mix of colours ranging from white to pink, through yellow and orange to red.  They really do lift the spirits.
I couldn't resist some close ups...
The colours just 'zing', don't they?
I like the slightly dusky tones of this pink.  I wouldn't have thought this colour would work with the bright yellows and oranges, but somehow, it seems to.
This is what they look like when the sun shines on them.
Orange is not one of my favourite colours, but I do like it in tulips.  Me, contrary?  Surely not!
I took these photos today, just after a rain shower.  I do like the way the water droplets are caught on the petals.
Here are Tulip 'Black Parrot', showing the intricate frills on the petals.  Still a bit more waiting for this one.  I think I may have crammed too many into the tub, so the flowers may be a little smaller, but we shall see.
More orange, but this time, in the rather delicate and elegant 'Ballerina'.  Here they are yesterday...
...and today!  Gorgeous colours and I can confirm that they are scented too. This is definitely one I shall keep having in the garden.
If all that riot of colour was too much and you need more soothing tones, how about the lilac against the blue sky?  In a few more days, it will be fully out.
Finally, the magnolia is also looking and smelling amazing.  There will be more tulip photos to come - I think I may be just a little obsessed by them at the moment.

14 comments:

  1. They certainly look great, Ellie. I dont have many tulips, yet, but a few that I threw in last Autumn are almost out, just need a couple more days sunshine.
    joy xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Joy
      Thank you. As you can see, I am just a little bit excited about the tulips this year! I didn't have many tulips myself a couple of years ago, but the few I did have were so lovely that I have gradually upped the number I plant. I hope yours will be lovely too.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. Your tulips are beautiful Ellie. Ours have just come into flower but I dont have as many varieties as yours.I keep meaning to buy more but then forget!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Anne
      Thank you. These are the first I have bought from Nyssen bulbs and they came in proper paper bags (even that was exciting for me!). I am really pleased with the quality and they were reasonably priced too. I have four more tubs which are all budding up nicely.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  3. What a glorious explasion of colour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Toffeeapple
      Thank you. I was hoping that they would be bright and colourful and they have certainly been that. The others are a little more restrained (well, sort of) but I hope they will do as well as these. I am really looking forward to seeing them all in flower.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  4. What fabulous flowers Ellie! Love the Springy colours and the varieties you've chosen! It's so nice seeing everything come into sudden bloom after so long isn't it? E x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear E
      Thank you - it really is wonderful seeing things start to flower. It does feel as though we have been through a very long winter. I am so enjoying all the vibrant tulip colours at the moment.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  5. Oh wow Ellie, those tulips are fantastic! They are so special; amazing that you can enjoy them in your own garden.... Love from Mirjam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Mirjam
      Thank you - I am really pleased with the tulips so far. They are all in tubs, although I think I shall plant some Ballerina tulips in the borders this autumn. I'll keep taking photos as the others flower.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  6. Ellie, they are amazing! They look fabulous after the rain, the colours just glow. I'm so impressed that you know the names and varieties. I just plant stuff and hope for the best, then get a surprise when they bloom! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Gillian
      Thank you - the colours are so bright and zingy. I am a little obsessed with my garden (you may have noticed) and do try to keep a note of the different plants and their names. (I also have a garden diary where I note all that sort of stuff down, although I am a bit behind with it so far this year - note to self, update garden diary!)The tulips are really enjoying the sunshine we have been having too.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  7. Such adorable flowers - a lovely sunny post x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear sweetpea family
      Thank you - the tulips are providing a wonderful splash of colour at the moment (long may that last!). I shall certainly have more Tulip Ballerina for next year as I really like the flower shape and colour and they have the bonus of scent as well.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete