Wednesday 18 April 2018

More creativity... cards and playing with the gelli plate

 I have been continuing with card making (just as well because I have amassed a large stash in a relatively short space of time) and have made a few more cards including thank you, get well and hello.  I like to decorate the envelopes too.
 This was made using a two layer stamp which gives a lovely result.
In my other news, I have discovered the joys of a Gelli plate.  This is a polymer based gel printing plate which can be used to make monoprints.  They have been about in the crafting world for many years, particularly in America, but, as usual, I am a bit behind the trends.  I watched lots of videos on the internet and decided that I needed to get myself a plate and have a go.  I have always enjoyed creating prints, whether these were monoprints, screen prints or lino prints, so I knew I would enjoy this.  Acrylic paints work really well with the gelli plate and distress inks can also be used, so it can cross into the papercrafting and card making too (hoorah!).
 Here are my first attempts, using marks, bubble wrap, stencils and stamps, in my favourite cool blues.
 I like the way the gel plate gives you a positive print and then what is called a 'ghost print', which is a negative sort of image.
More mark making and bubble wrap.
 Bright and bold colours blended on the plate and then stencils, bubble wrap and marks again.
 This is the ghost print.
I really liked the smudginess of this print which was actually a 'cleaning up the roller' waste piece which I put the stencils onto to remove most of the paint and then used a baby wipe to clean them - the baby wipe caused the slightly smudgy look to the stencil.  This is one of my favourite prints and wasn't even a 'proper' print. So often the way!
I have been watching more 'how to' videos and have been taken with some layered prints using more sophisticated colour mixes than I have used so far. 
I really like the process, it is fast, some great effects can be created and it is easy to clean up, so I shall be enjoying lots more playing and creating over the next few days/weeks/months.

7 comments:

  1. How I admire your creative play. And love the results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, EC. I do like the versatility of the gelli plate and the fact that it is easy to clean up. Sometimes I wish I could stick to just one thing and become really expert at that, but I think I might get bored, so having lots of crafting interests seems to work for me! I love playing with my crafts - the world needs to have more playing time!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. Your cards are lovely, It is always a joy to receive hand made cards. Never heard of a gelli plate but it looks fun and so many possibilities, enjoy xcx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chrissie. A gelli plate is one of those things you never knew you needed until you see it in action - it seems to be a really versatile bit of kit. I am really looking forward to exploring what can be done with it.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  3. Looks like fun, but I must advert my eyes....really my yarn stash is huge and I just can't let myself get interested in another craft. LOL You know how it consumes us. LOVE the cards, so pretty, so colorful. Very creative!!
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandy. I know just what you mean. Really, I didn't need to get a gelli plate but you know how it is...My craft stash is ever growing, but so enjoyable to add to!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  4. Hi Ellie, making blog rounds...What nothing new to share. pooey. I can't get to my stash right now, and am going through a bit of withdrawal. But you can relate. Come see what I mean
    https://4ccccs.blogspot.com/2018/04/how-to-occupy-yourself-with-broken-foot.html

    ReplyDelete