Thursday 1 November 2018

Painting using the gelli plate...and more cards

 I was watching a video on Youtube about 'Painterly Layers' on a gelli plate, so thought I should have a go as I really liked the effect.  I discovered a few things:
1.   You need to be quite fast (especially if your acrylic paint dries quickly) and can't take too long with each layer - don't let the paper stick to the plate either (!)
2.   Using a heavy body acrylic paint is probably the best for this technique.
3.   Use light colours working through to darker colours (which is a good thing to remember with any gelli layer prints).
4.   I like bright colours best for this technique (although more muted colours would give a different feeling so perhaps I should try them too).
The paints I used were Pebeo studio acrylics, some with iridescent or metallic sheen to them.  While these are lovely paints, they were a bit too transparent for this technique and also dried too quickly.
However, I was quite pleased with some of the results.  Even the ghost prints were interesting.
 This one was an improvement - I added a magenta to the final layer which worked better.
This one was my favourite as I had covered the plate with pattern and colour. The colours weren't quite so transparent and I do like the mix of yellow, orange, pink and blue.  I have some System Three acrylics which are heavy body paints, so I shall give them a go next. 
 I have also been making some cards - the one above was for my sister and turned out pretty much how it looked in my head.
This was for a colleague at work who kindly bought me some fleece tops for felting.  It was nice to be able to give it to her the next day.

4 comments:

  1. LOVE your work.
    And your cards are things to treasure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks EC. The gelli plate is so versatile and there is a lot of inspiration and guidance on what can be done with it out there. My card making is improving and I am starting to be pleased with the end results. (More importantly, I really enjoy making them!)
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. It looks a very interesting technique, great to try something new. I love your sister´s card, very pretty. Your fleece tops for felting sound interesting too xcx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chrissie. Sometimes I wish I could focus on just one thing and become really good at it, but there are so many things I enjoy and it is nice to be able to swap depending on what I feel like doing. I have a colleague's birthday next week, so it will be back to the jewellery making!
      I think the gifted fleece top will be made into a sheep (at some point).
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete