Thursday 17 October 2019

Creativity

a page from my first art journal
(This post comes with a warning - I am going to get on my soapbox...)
As I have got older, I have realised the vital importance of creativity in my own life.  However, the word 'creativity' has a difficulty in itself.  Say it to people and they think of art, music or drama - the 'creative' subjects.  A new report has just been published about creativity in education in the UK, called The Durham Report.  For quite a few years, creativity in education has not been given the time and recognition it deserves.  In the report (which I admit, I haven't read all of yet) there is a definition of creativity:
"Creativity: The capacity to imagine, conceive, express, or make something that was not there before."

Other definitions in the report are:

"Creative thinking: A process through which knowledge, intuition and skills are applied to imagine, express or make something novel or individual in its contexts. Creative thinking is present in all areas of life. It may appear spontaneous, but it can be underpinned by perseverance, experimentation, critical thinking and collaboration." 

"Teaching for creativity: Explicitly using pedagogies and practices that cultivate creativity in young people. "

The gradual removal of creativity from the curriculum over the last ten years or so (since I was working with four and five year olds) has upset and bothered me enormously.  I do feel that this has been a contributing factor to the huge increase in mental health issues affecting young people.  (I do realise that there are many other contributing factors and that each person will have experienced many different causes). 
I remember going to a school to help my husband with a puppet making day a few years ago and was told that we were part of a creativity week which happened every two years...at that point, I despaired for the children.

So, the point of this post?  Well, with the publishing of this report, perhaps the curriculum makers will have the dawning realisation that we are all creative beings and we need to express this.  Perhaps children will be encouraged to explore their creative ideas, which will be valuable and valued and perhaps this will benefit future generations too.  I am feeling just that little bit more hopeful.  We shall see. 

12 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you. I was taught to knit in my junior school we did papier mache etc. Nature study, another subject that is not taught any more. I learnt to love nature through this.
    Like you, I despair for our young people.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Briony. As Chris said this morning, all the people making the decisions had the benefit of education with creativity included, so why diminish its impact? I hope that this report will be the start of something better for schools.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. I hope there is room on your soapbox for me.
    Whole hearted agreement here - and awa, wonder and delight at the work of the creators.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, EC. There is definitely room - it seems to be an ever-expanding soapbox! It has taken some time, but this could be the first small step towards better education in the UK.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  3. Goodness . . . not having any contat with education these days I did not realise what had been taken from the curriculum, although now you've made me think about it I should not be surprised.

    I remember "art" once a week (although I have very little recall of what we did during that time).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jayne. I think it was taken for granted that art lessons, drama, music and movement, singing together were all part of the curriculum when I was at primary school. The gradual erosion of these has been so sad. Let's hope the importance of creativity (in whatever form it is) will be recognised and put back where it should be (yes, I'm still on that soapbox!).
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  4. Great post, what a coincidence that we should write about the same things at the same time! I have not come across this report before but I can guess at its contents. I home educate my children, I found the national curriculum too prescriptive eleven years ago when we were making the decision on whether to apply for a school place for our eldest. I know that it has changed alot since then. I find it really sad to be honest, like you, I also despair and really hope that this report has some impact and is not ignored like so many reports on education.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and welcome, sustainablemum. A coincidence indeed! I really hope this is the start of putting creativity back where it should be - at the centre of all we do.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  5. Certainly agree with you. When my children were in school they had brought out Food technology, basically nothing to do with cooking just how to make a sandwich box, when they did cook anything it was so basic and just used the microwave. By then my two were quite prolific in the kitchen, thankfully, but those skills have been lost to so many, which is why so many families rely on ready meals. Creativity is such a personal way of expressing yourself and I think helps towards having a good balance in life. Think we might need a bigger soap box!! xcx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chrissie. I agree - basic skills which were taught either at school or at home are being lost, which is a disaster. Luckily, the soapbox can expand to fit many people on it!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  6. Thanks Ellie. In Ontario, Canada, the gradual removal of support for the arts curriculum and open-minded thinking seemed to come after the requirement for post-secondary “education degrees” for all teachers. The other gradual change was the labelling of kids who do not do well at reading and math as disabled when they could have been encouraged to be makers, inventors, fixers, artists, musicians, salespeople, cooks, organizers, helpers, problem solvers, The loss of self-esteem among young people has led to serious social problems. I’m glad that ADHD wasn’t invented when I was a child. I was simply a behaviour problem. There were consequences. I was still part of the class. I learned to read. I loved math. I loved being in the school orchestras & choirs. I loved playing outside and that was still part of school. Kids here don’t play outside anymore. If children are always supervised, how do they learn to be responsible? When do they learn to solve problems? For me, creativity is an open-minded approach to problem solving that is a necessary life-skill. We practice it more in shops, garages, studios, sewing rooms, kitchens, conversations, than we ever could in “curriculum” driven classrooms. (Yikes, I got carried away... in any case, I am glad there is hope in the UK).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diana. It is such an important part of life that needs to recognised and nurtured, if we want future generations to be able to cope with what life throws at them.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete