Thursday 10 March 2022

Hello nearly Spring

It is so nearly Spring proper - it is just round the corner.  It is comforting that it happens without any interference from man.  The hellebores in the border are now in flower - they are a little later than the potted ones but I love to see them nonetheless.  Above is Harvington Picotee.
Harvington Pink Speckled.
Another Harvington Picotee - was this an original plant or is it a seedling? 
Harvington White Speckled.
The reliable Cardamine Quinquefolia, which I love.  I have been warned it can become invasive and it is certainly spreading but so far, not a nuisance.  If it outgrows the space or makes a bid for garden domination, we will be having words!
Camellia St Ewe flowering at the shady bottom of the garden.  It certainly provides a splash of colour!
A little crocus, (sieberi tricolor) opening up to greet the sun. I have planted these all around - in the borders (where I could find a space) and in various pots.  They are such cheerful little flowers and good for the early bees.
Finally, another hellebore, in a pot, called Princess Victoria.  This one is the darkest I have and has taken quite a while to get into flower.  I love the dusky, velvety look to the flower.  

I have just added two more salvias to the garden - Microphylla Cerro Potosi, which has a bright pink flower.  They are just starting to put out leaves, but I am looking forward to seeing them in flower.

Nearly Spring, but not quite.  It is an exciting time of year.

14 comments:

  1. The names of these beautiful flowers fascinate me! The Hellebores beauty jumps out at you... as if they were saying look...look at me! What joy to see all these lovelies after the sparseness of winter. Many thanks for your advice on how to open/close the jump rings on stitch markers. I shall remember this :-). Keep well. Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amanda. I am very fond of hellebores and keep gradually adding to my collection. They seem such undemanding plants.
      I can speak from experience on the jump rings - I spoiled a few initially before I found out how it should be done!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. Hi,I absolutely Love Hellebores.We have the full force of the wind coming down from St.Agnes Beacon and across the fiels to our open garden.I am at a loss to know what to plant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and welcome, Lee.
      Do you have hedges or anything as a windbreak? I wonder whether miscanthus grasses would like your conditions - they would look lovely in the wind! I just did a little search and found this:
      https://www.gardenersworld.com/plants/10-plants-for-windy-gardens/ and this one has lots of ideas: https://www.daviddomoney.com/planting-for-areas-with-high-wind/
      I see that you are a crafter too - I can sympathise with the 'Ooh, I haven't got that stamp/die/ink/etc...'
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  3. Such fabulous flowers, your garden sounds glorious! Mine is a sea of brown with two small crocuses and the remains of the snowdrops that are looking a little tatty now but are still in flower here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, sustainablemum. I am gradually working towards having something in flower or of interest every month of the year and am slowly getting there. Early flowering plants are particularly welcome.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous. I love the really dark hellebores but I like the speckled ones too. They never seem to do very well in my garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo. I have several growing happily in pots - they are in a part shady position, with a mix of John Innes no 3 and peat free multi purpose compost. Apparently they like some chicken manure pellets too. How about trying one in a pot?
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  5. Hello Ellie, lots of super colour! The dark hellebore are très sophisticated, but I think my heart lies with the speckled Harrington ones. Beautiful Crocus Sieberi tricolour too. Nearly spring looks like she's having a wail of a time in your garden :):) :) xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lulu. I'm happy to see any of the hellebores reappearing in the borders. The little crocus are doing such a good job of making everything look more cheerful too. I really enjoy this time of year until the end of June - Spring to early Summer, before things start to look a bit washed out with the heat. Lots more to enjoy with Spring proper, I hope.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  6. Love the flowers, Ellie. I'm looking forward to spring, a new and hopeful season is just what is needed.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amalia. I agree - hope is what we all need at the moment.
      Best wishes
      Elie

      Delete
  7. Beautiful and then some. Love seeing all the color. We're still a good ways off before anything will be blooming, so I'll enjoy your gardens.
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandy. It has felt Spring-like recently but it can still be frosty through April in the UK. It is lovely to see the flowers continuing to bloom.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete