Saturday 2 April 2022

Nearly...but not quite...Spring

We have been very lucky with the weather during the last two weeks in March. My little standard cherry (Prunus incisa Kojo-no-mai) has looked lovely. It lived up to its name which means 'Flight of the Butterflies'.
Here it is, flowering away.  It is a little difficult to see without a dark backdrop - I have pruned the buddleia which is behind it. 
Lovely primroses have been showing their faces in the border...
...even if they have been nibbled by something, they are still lovely.
An unnamed pink camellia has been flowering really well.
It has been the best ever, well, it was.  It is a little more brown now.
There was one flower on the other unnamed camellia.  I am pleased I took the photos when I did because everything is looking rather more brown and frosted now.  We are in a cold snap with minus temperatures at night and Winter is back in charge.  Certainly not that cold compared to other places in the World, but a shock to the system after the last two weeks. This is sometimes the case, but with our drier and brighter Springs over the last couple of years, it is easy to forget that Winter can come back in April.  I remember a holiday in Oxfordshire during April when I was younger and we visited Rousham gardens (a fabulous place) accompanied by hail and snow - a bit like yesterday.   It is due to warm up a bit next week, so hopefully the Spring flowers can continue without too much disruption.

8 comments:

  1. Fabulous flowers as always, I would love to come and see your garden. It is at times like this, when the weather is so very changeable that I am glad my garden is a not full of blooms as they would not last very long.

    I wanted to thank you for your post about Gaia, and the link you provided for the tour it is doing. It is coming really close to us which I am so happy about, we have mentioned it to some friends and are hoping to go and see it together. Thank you so much for mentioning it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, sustainablemum. I think you might be a little disappointed with my garden as it would take less than five minutes to look round it! However, I do have lots of lovely plants and I love pottering about out there. Even though it is small, it still keeps me very busy!
      I am so pleased you'll be able to see Gaia - it is a memorable experience (and very good for showing geographical knowledge - or lack thereof, in my case!)
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. Spring tends to flirt with us too. She comes in, and then retreats before settling down for the season. I hope she does return next week - and thank you for these beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, EC. I am pleased that I managed to take the photos before the colder temperatures - everything is looking a bit 'shivery' out there today!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  3. Wish you lived near me, so I could enjoy your green thumb. Everything looks so pretty.
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandy. I can't say I have that much input on the plants - it's down to nature and our reasonably nice climate, I think! I do like to have lots of flowers.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  4. Hello Ellie, how sweet your cherry tree is and what a fitting name - 'Flight of Butterflies'! Beautiful camellia flowers too. I have been groovy shaking m' camellia bushes, as demonstrated on Gardener's World, to cast aside the browned flowers... the neighbours must think I'm mad :0 A bit damp here but warming up ready for Easter weekend :) Hope you have a goodun' xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lulu. The tulips are starting to take over now and are bringing a bit of zing to the borders and pots. I gave my camellias a shake too and it did work.
      Hope you have a good Easter weekend too - I am hoping to do a bit of potting on and some dividing in the garden, all being well.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete