Thursday 2 March 2023

Local Exhibitions


Last month we went to our local art gallery and museum to see some of the exhibitions on at the moment.  I was interested to see the watercolour exhibition, having had a little more experience of watercolours in my art journaling course last year.  David Remfry is a master of watercolours and I spent a long time looking at the picture which is on the poster above - called Anna. It was fascinating to see how he had used the paper and washes of colour to outline her face.  There were full length watercolours too and I haven't seen large scale works like that in this medium.  
We then headed to see the exhibition by Jeanette Killner, who was one of my teachers on the Foundation in Art and Design course I did.  She was the 2D tutor and encouraged me with my felt making.  Her own art involves aluminium drinks cans which she heats to bring out the rainbow-like colours.  Chris really liked the fish above, but that wasn't for sale.
All the work was based on nature.  We liked the enamelled flowers of the blackberry and the blackberries themselves, made using beads.
I loved the colours of 'Indian Summer'...
...here's a close up.
I was taken with the Wildflowers too...
...such a lot of work had gone in to creating these beautiful images.
She had even made a 'nature table' with a wire nest, metal feathers and leaves and a metal beetle in a jar.
This hanging piece was really impressive.
I called in to see this amazing Bronze Age pendant which was on loan from the British Museum. The decoration on it was beautiful and timeless - it looked as though it had been made yesterday.  It is lovely to be able to appreciate this wonderful exhibit, without having to travel to London! 
I really enjoyed seeing the exhibitions  and may well go back before they move on or close.
 

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for this. I must go back to Lincoln to see Jeanette's exhibition. It looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Meanqueen. It is a small but perfectly formed exhibition and her skill is amazing. She uses wire to hold all the pieces together. I think you would enjoy seeing her work.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful exhibition, the Jeanette Killner artwork is amazing. You are so right about that pendant, it was made by our ancestors so I guess it would look 'familiar', how lovely to see it close up without having to travel to London.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, sustainablemum. The exhibitions were both really good. Knowing Jeanette too made that exhibition a little more special. We have had a few exhibits from the British Museum and various paintings from the Tate gallery, so I try to make a point of seeing them when they are here.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  3. Wow, amazing what can be made from aluminum cans! What fab exhibitions :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lulu. Jeanette is very skilled at what she does and I like the way you can see the original can if you look on the underside. It was nice to catch up on some culture!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete