Thursday 24 October 2024

New gel printing techniques and other projects

For my sister's birthday card, I took inspiration from the new collage book I bought.  There is a post about it here.  I used some of my painted papers, cut the shapes out and decorated them.  I hope she liked it!
I have also been enjoying Clare Cosens Designs on Youtube. Her videos are clear and easy to follow and she is a great teacher.  I watched her video on layering using stencils and had a go myself.  My paints beaded up a little on the gel plate, rather than being a flat layer, but I like the end result. The secret with this technique is to let each layer dry thoroughly, before adding the next.
Here is my other experiment with this technique.  It is one I will use a lot, I think, although waiting for the paint to dry takes patience, especially when you want to add the next layer!
I really enjoyed the Gel Printers Summit where every day, a different gel printer presented a different technique.  Some really appealed to me, especially one by Sarah Jane Gordon.  She used seaweed,  stencils and fossils to create a layered print, and by using printing inks, which stay wet for a long time, you could work directly on the plate.   I had some printing inks which I use for lino printing, but I hadn't used them on the gel plate. They wash out with water so are much better than the inks I had to use at school and college, which could only be cleaned using white spirit.   
Here are some of my first attempts, using stencils and stamps. 
I do like the layering effect and I wasn't waiting for layers to dry, so it was a less time-consuming process.  Again, I am sure I will get better with practise.
The ghost prints were still rather nice too.  Gel Printers Summit gave me a lot of information and I shall revisit some of the videos as they were packed full of tips and techniques along with the projects. While gel plates are very forgiving and a beginner printer can make some amazing images, I hope that as I improve, I will make more considered decisions and end up with some lovely prints.

4 comments:

  1. You are already creating beauty. Rather a lot of it. My patience is limited too (very).
    Have a great and creative week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, EC. I am involved with lots of online courses and projects at the moment and am enjoying all the inspiration. I just need to set aside some time to explore and play now!
      Creative week, here I come!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. Everything you have created is just beautiful Ellie. So many different techniques - I find it so fascinating. Can you maybe use a hair dryer to dry the paint faster? I have done this before when tea dying luggage tags to antique them a bit. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julie. That is kind of you to say so. It is fascinating trying these different techniques and learning what works. Yes, I could use a hair dryer but I would need to be really careful as it could make the gel plate too hot and melt. It isn't something that is advised.
      I used some cardboard like a fan to help the paint to dry. Luckily acrylic paint dries pretty quickly, so I didn't have to wait too long. Some gel printers have two plates so they can work on one while the other is drying.
      I am looking forward to trying these techniques again.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete