Tuesday 2 February 2016

Felt making again (at last!)

 It has been over a year since I made any felt from scratch (hangs head in shame!).  So, I decided this disgraceful state of affairs had to be sorted.  I needed some stripy felt for a project and I had also been inspired by a programme on Scottish Art which showed neolithic cup and ring carvings, which I thought might translate well into felt.  Circles and spirals seem to have been an inspiration to many people and cultures all through the past, and there is something very satisfying about those particular shapes.  
Armed with my enthusiasm, I got making.  (I was slightly concerned in case I had forgotten how to make felt, but needn't have worried, as it all came back to me!)  I used merino wool as it blends easily and felts quite quickly.
Here is an example of one of the cup and ring carvings. (photo from:
 http://www.educationscotland.gov.uk/scotlandshistory/earlypeople/cupringmarks/index.asp)
Here is my interpretation, before felting.  I made this as a practise piece, because I want to add surface texture with embroidery, which I haven't quite managed to do yet. 
I had already used the stripy piece before realising I hadn't taken a photo of it after felting, so this shows half of it.  I like the way the stripes aren't regular, but that is one of the lovely things about felt making - the wool does decide how it wants to be during the process and the maker can only alter it so much.
Here's the circle/spiral piece after felting.  The concentric circles and spirals moved about a bit despite me trying to keep them in one place, but I am pleased with the overall effect.
 Now I need to get embroidering...

10 comments:

  1. How clever. And intriguing. I like both of these pieces very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, EC. It is surprising where inspiration comes from sometimes. I was pleased with how these pieces finished up although I think the embroidery will add some good texture to the surface of the circles and spirals. I hope to keep going with felt making this year, now I've made a start.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. The stripes are great and I adore the circles! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy. You can never be sure exactly how the pieces will turn out because the wool does have some influence during the felting purpose, but I was pleased with how both pieces looked. More felting needs to follow I think.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  3. You are clever, I liked both designs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marlene. Sometimes simple things are very satisfying. I am hoping to do some more of these too.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  4. Beautiful! I partucularly like the stripy felt. I look forward to seeing it all embroidered

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Wendy. Both pieces looked how I hoped they would. It will be interesting to see how much difference the embroidery makes.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  5. Hi Ellie, I am visiting you via Kim's blog - Wisdom with Needles & Thread - and I look forward to seeing your embroidery on the felt you have made.
    Barbara xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Barbara
      Hello and welcome! I still haven't made a start on my embroidery as other sewing things have got in the way, but I shall post about my progress when there is some!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete