Thursday 23 December 2010

Sparkling frost

Braving the minus temperatures in the mornings to put the bird food out, I can't help noticing how beautiful the frost makes things look. Yes, it is literally freezing and not nice to have to spend much time outside, but the odd few minutes is all you need. The flowerheads on Hydrangea Arborescens Annabelle looked magical, outlined with the frost, with the muted colours highlighted and enlivened.
I am sure that I am not alone in wondering whether any of my plants in pots have survived this awful weather. I did insulate most of them, but I have a feeling that this will not have been enough. I would be sorry to lose those large plants which I have nurtured and grown on, but until Spring, I won't know how many have succumbed. There is a positive, in that there will be more spaces in which to put new plants, but this is not much of a consolation. I'll just have to wait and see. Patience, patience, patience.

No comments:

Post a Comment