Tuesday 4 March 2014

Challenging myself

 I decided to give myself a bit of a creative challenge with my polymer clay skills.  I have been wanting to make some flowers for quite a while, so went onto some internet tutorials to see how it was done.  It all looked reasonably simple, so off I went to have a go.  Let me tell you, it is not simple at all!  Here are my first attempts at a sort of grape hyacinth (following the tutorial from make it with me) but my attempt isn't nearly as pretty as hers.  Of course, this is my first attempt and it will no doubt get better if I practise!
 Having mixed some nice purple shades, I thought I would try a simple flower shape.  Even that wasn't as easy as I thought.  Practise, practise, practise!
 Here are some beads which I am really pleased with (good to end on an optimistic note).  I have been struggling with using translucent polymer clay as my attempts hadn't quite worked out as I had hoped.  However, when watching Jewellery Maker one day, there was a polymer clay designer and she showed how to make foil beads using translucent clay.  I had a go, using silver foil over a variety of colours of clay that were in my scrap box and lo and behold...success!  I can't tell you how pleased I was with these.
Now I just need to use them in some jewellery!

16 comments:

  1. The hyacinth is very sweet Ellie; those beads are really fun!
    I'm curious what you are going to create with them...
    Love from Mirjam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mirjam. I had an idea to use the beads in a tassel design but it hasn't quite happened yet! I think they may be a bit too big so I'll probably need to make some smaller ones.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. I think the little flowers are cute :) Your beads are really pretty! How big are they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mii. I was pleased with the beads. They are about 12mm I think so I could make them into a pretty macramé bracelet - now there's an idea!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  3. making flowers with polymer clay is really hard! I think you made a good attempt at it. Love the glittery beads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Wendy. It really is hard - I definitely found that out! It does give me extra respect for those makers who make it look easy though and make such lovely things. I am pleased with the beads too - I think I am finally getting to grips with translucent clay.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  4. Very clever soo tricky to do. Way to.go xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Emma. If someone had told me it was tricky, I probably wouldn't have started with that, but it didn't look tricky on the tutorial! Hopefully, I'll improve.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  5. Well I think you did a great job with that sweet little hyacinth, Ellie, it is such a complicated flower for a first attempt, and your simple little blooms are lovely too; of course the beads have already won the prize for now, but knowing you and your magical abilities, you will soon be showing us a hyacinth that you are really happy with! All the very best with it, and have fun! Joy xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joy. You are always so encouraging with your comments - much appreciated! Wouldn't it be good to have real magical abilities? I think improvement will be down to lots of practise! It is fun though, even when things don't go quite the way you would like.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  6. that looks like great therapy fun . Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo. It is good fun (more so when the end result works as you hoped it would!) . As I didn't have play dough when I was little, just brown/grey sludgy plasticine which took ages to warm up and was not very appealing, I am really enjoying experimenting (or should that be playing?) with polymer clay.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  7. Wow this is so intricate and beautiful Ellie. I also love the colours that you chose, they work really well together. You really are so very talented!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Hannapat. It is OK for a first try but I am sure I'll improve with some practise. I like the colours too!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  8. The beads are really pretty. Polymer clay and me never got on, but you seem to have such a knack for all these different craft skills, I'm sure you'll be wowing us with your creations in no time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Annie. I think the beads are the real success here, but the others are starting points and I hope that my skills will improve. It's kind of you to say so, but 'wowing' - well, I can but hope!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete