Tuesday 8 March 2016

'Blind Date with a Book'

(All photos from Amazon)
The University where I work has just finished an initiative in the Library called 'Blind Date with a Book'.  One hundred and four books were wrapped in tissue paper so that you didn't know what you were choosing. Being an avid reader, I decided to take part and here are the four books I chose.  At the top was one I don't think I would ever have chosen, so it was a good start.  The premise was interesting - what happened to Freud during his visit to America which would put him off Americans ever after?  The author's idea was that he could have been involved in a murder case.  Although the psychoanalysis went above my head in some places, it was a gripping (if a little gory) story and I had no idea who the perpetrator was...

 The second book was this novel for young adults - again, one I probably wouldn't have chosen for myself.  It discusses mental illness - and suicide - from the point of view of two traumatised teenagers who develop a bond when one stops the other from throwing themselves off a tower.  Although sad, it was poignant and powerful and it had an uplifting feeling at the end.
Number three was something completely different - a historical novel written about Elizabeth I and the attempts from various parties to get her to marry.  I prefer historical fact, rather than fiction, but a lot of this was based on fact, if slightly amended for the time frame.  It was an interesting view into how her mind might have worked and what her feelings might have been.
I did cheat slightly with number four.  I had seen that this book was in the Blind Date and really wanted to choose it...however, once the Blind Date had finished, I asked the librarian if I could have this one and they kept it back for me - they are lovely!  I had read the reviews and was intrigued by the premise of a lady in her eighties with dementia, who feels that her friend Elizabeth is missing.  Her mind goes back to the disappearance of her sister after the war and in solving one mystery, she inadvertently opens up another.  It was a gripping story; one of those which is difficult to put down and one which stays with you after finishing it.  In fact, I will read it again before taking it back to the library.  
So, although I didn't manage to read many of the Blind Date books, it did encourage me to read outside my usual choice and broaden my reading horizons.  I hope they repeat it at the Library next year.

10 comments:

  1. Can't wait to hear your comments on the books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marlene. I have included some thoughts on the books but didn't really want to launch into full reviews necessarily. Would I recommend them? Yes, they are all interesting in their own ways, although an interest in psychoanalysis would help with the first one and an interest and some knowledge of Elizabethan England would help with the third. The second and fourth books do stand alone and I enjoyed them both, but in different ways.
      I have just got another one (the Library have kept a few back still in their wrapping, and would you believe it, murder and conspiracy appear to feature again - there's a theme here...
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. What a great idea! It encourages you to read all kinds of things that you wouldn't otherwise. Sounds as though you got some good reads! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy. Yes, I thought it was a great idea too and has certainly encouraged me to read things I wouldn't have chosen.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  3. What a brilliant initiative.
    I have 'Elizabeth is Missing' and found it confronting, and sad, and frightening true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, EC. Out of the four, 'Elizabeth is missing' is the one I was really gripped by. I had wanted to read it so that could be one reason, but it is so well written and believable. It is incredibly sad too, of course, but I'm glad I read it.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  4. The idea of a blind date with a book is an interesting idea. I think I would enjoy the books with "Elizabeth".
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kim. It is a really good idea and I am enjoying having my reading tastes broadened! I think you may enjoy both of the Elizabeth books mentioned. Alison Weir has also written a novel about the young Elizabeth too, as well as several 'serious' and more academic books about Elizabethan times.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
    2. I love the idea of the Blind Date with Books. I must go back to the library now we've moved - well until they close it anyway. I've read 2 of your books. The first one, I really struggled with and "Elizabeth is Missing' which was ok and I was interested in the subplot but I did feel it was drawn out a little too much.

      Delete
    3. Thanks, Sally. It is a great idea - it would be interesting to see whether it made a difference in the number of books taken out of the library. Reading is such a personal thing, isn't it - one person's 'must read' is another person's 'hate it'! Congratulations on the move, by the way - I hope you will be very happy in your new house.
      Best wishes
      Ellie
      Ellie

      Delete