Saturday 21 July 2018

Cards and Crafting Live at Doncaster

I have been making a couple of cards recently and really enjoyed creating the splat and splodge background in the one above.  It really looks as though I have gone a bit mad with the inks, but the splats and splodges are stamps.  I need to make more of these in lots of rainbow colours...
I took a long time considering what I was going to make and tried various things, but in the end I found that simple is best for me.  I was pleased with the card above which I think worked well.
Last Sunday on yet another hot day for the UK, Chris and I went to Crafting Live at Doncaster.  This is a shopping show, with around 70 stalls full of all things crafting.  The majority were papercrafting but there were material and sewing stalls and some others, such as beading.  I had been curious about these shows and decided I wanted to go just once.  I got the dies above as a free gift, which was a good start to the event.
I managed to avoid the sewing and material stalls, even though there were some beautiful fabrics.  Above are a couple of stamp sets (I spied the hare stamps from across the aisle and just had to buy them - they are in a lino print style which is something I have been looking for) and some stencils which I bought.  I even managed to stay in budget! 
I nearly forgot to include this stamp, which was the one I actually went to the show for!  It's a layered hydrangea stamp which gives a watercolour look once it is layered up.  I enjoyed the show but am not sure that I need to go to another one.  It was great to have so many shops all in one place though.

8 comments:

  1. Well done on staying on budget. Definitely kid in candy store stuff.
    I like the layered hydrangea - and the splots. Love your card too. Simple and elegant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear EC
      It's so true - I could have spent a huge amount of money as there were so many tempting things on offer. I'm pleased with what I bought though and am looking forward to some playing time.
      I do like simple cards, so I am on the right track with this, I think.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. this is one show I've never been to. I used to go the ones at the NEC a couple of times a year, and Harrogate in November. I do love a good shopping show!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Wendy. I am pleased I went and bought some lovely stamps, but I don;t feel the need to go to another one any time soon. There were opportunities for crafting there which needed to be booked, but I was just happy to do some shopping.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  3. Haven´t been to a show in years, used to go to the one in Westpoint Exeter. It´s nice to see all the different ideas and techniques all in one place. I like your cards, the splodges are fun xcx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chrissie. I enjoyed the experience (and the shopping) at the show. That was the great benefit to visiting a show - it's all in one place.
      The splodges were great fun to do and I am looking forward to making more of them.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  4. It sounds great fun, so much to look at, you did well staying within your budget. I’m hoping to go to the British wool show in a couple of weeks in York xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cheryl. I took cash and that was a good idea (I did have a card just in case, but really didn't want to use it). I hope you enjoy the British wool show - I am sure you'll be tempted to spend, just like I was!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete