Tuesday 9 October 2018

My first visit to Hull (or Kingston-upon-Hull to give the proper name) and Hull Scrapstore

Humber Bridge (photo from Wikipedia)
We headed to Hull last Saturday to visit the Scrapstore (more about it here) as we had seen a visit on a blog (Life without Money - see the post here) and it had whetted our appetite.  It was the first time I had travelled over the Humber Bridge which seemed to go on for miles and was really impressive.  On a sunny day, I imagine the views are wonderful.  Sadly, as it was raining when we went, our views were limited.
The Scrapstore was an Aladdin's cave full of all sorts of bits and pieces from cardboard tubes to paper and card to a room full of fabric remnants and an art department.  While you can fill a basket for £5.00 in the main room, the art materials are individually and competitively priced.  Chris bought some more materials for puppet making.  I was quite impressed with myself as I was quite restrained.  Here's what I came home with:
 Some sequin waste, gummed brown paper (which I use for stretching paper prior to watercolouring) and three curtain samples which I think will make great bags or cushion covers.  The retro looking rose patterned one we both spotted in the video made by Ilona from Life Without Money and I was really pleased that it was still there and almost pounced on it!
While this photo looks rather underwhelming, it represents really good value for money. Hand made paper from India in A2 size (at least) for 10 pence a sheet.   Of course, we bought 10 sheets, well, why wouldn't we?
We had rather a detour on the way back as we went round by Goole, missing going back over the bridge (which I was a bit disappointed about).  Still, there's always another time.
There are Scrapstores around the UK - there may be one near you.

6 comments:

  1. Glad you found something useful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Meanqueen. Your video inspired us to go and we donated some paper and hessian as well. I have a feeling this won't be our last visit!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. Sounds a good day out, especially with an Aladdins cave at the end of it. Always nice to spy out some different supplies. xcx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chrissie. There was so much to see and it would have been easy to spend a lot, but I was really pleased with what we bought.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  3. oh how interesting! I had heard of scrap store, but I thought it was a place where people donated arts and crafts bits and bobs for children's workshops. I might have to take another look - not that I need any more supplies...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Wendy. People do indeed donate arts and crafts supplies - we took some paper and hessian when we went. I don't need any more supplies, but since when has that ever stopped me?!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete