Sunday 14 October 2018

What a difference a day makes or October in the garden

It was such a warm day yesterday and has been a really wet miserable day today. I made the most of the weather yesterday and planted some daffodils in pots.  I also took the opportunity to have a look round the garden too. (The song 'What a difference a day makes' by Dinah Washington sprang into my head, hence the title of the post, even though the song is nothing to do with the weather, so here's a link to it on Youtube.)
 Autumn is certainly here, as can be seen by the Blueberries, here Northland...
...turning their fiery colours.  They have fruited really well this year and are such an easy to look after plant, as long as they are in ericaceous compost.  Mine don't always get rain water either - it depends how much is in the water butt.
A few last roses from 'Winchester Cathedral'.
 Buttery yellow leaves on Ginkgo Biloba Troll.
 Liriope muscari flowering away beautifully.
 My favourite grasses - Miscanthus Silberfeder.
 Cosmos Dazzler, doing what the name suggests.
 Aster (renamed something I can't spell, but having checked, it is Symphyotrichum, although it will always be an aster to me) Little Carlow, showing which flowers have been pollinated by turning red/brown - really helpful for the bees.
Aster (Symphyotrichum) novae-angliae September Ruby (I think).
Miscanthus Starlight - smaller but still beautifully formed.  I am really enjoying the autumn colours and hope they will stay for a few more weeks.

6 comments:

  1. You still have so much colour in your garden, still so much to look at and enjoy xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cheryl. It is a lovely autumn so far. I am aiming to have some interest in the garden throughout the year although winter is still a tricky season!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. What a difference a day makes indeed! I had 3 good days working in the yard, trimming the Rose of Sharon, weeding etc, and then it got cold, wet, and gray. I may not be able to get my fall work done. I never got to the spring work because of the broken foot, so the yard really needs me to get out there...but it's rained now 3 days in a row. Gorgeous pictures!
    Sandys Space

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandy. It has been a bit damp for us too over the last couple of days. I hope you'll be able to get outside soon - there's always something that needs doing, isn't there?
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  3. Lovely colours, textures and shapes in your Autumn garden, cheers up a dull day xcx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chrissie. Absolutely - we all need a shot of colour now and again to brighten things up.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete