Thursday 20 December 2018

Christmas reading 2018

I wrote about my favourite Christmas reading back in December 2010 (you can read the post here).  They are: The Wind in the Willows, Little Women, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, The Children of Green Knowe, The Pickwick Papers and A Christmas Carol.While I have revisited some of these books so far this December (The Children of Green Knowe and A Christmas Carol), I have added another to the list. This is The Box of Delights by John Masefield (those of you of a certain age will remember the BBC dramatisation with what was then cutting edge animation).  I may also sneak in A Traveller in Time by Alison Uttley as the story includes some wonderful descriptions of Christmas feasts and entertainment.
I really enjoy revisiting these books and in fact,  I get a great deal of pleasure re-reading many of my books.  I am quite a quick reader, which means that sometime I miss things the first time round.  I do view my books as old friends, ready to welcome me back in, no matter how long I have been away.

4 comments:

  1. Our old favourites have a lot in common. I loved The Children of Green Knowe series, and have recently starting looking for them to replace my missing copies.
    And yes, rereading books has a heap of charm.
    Have a truly wonderful (book filled) Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, EC. It's so nice to find a fellow Christmas book-lover. I enjoyed most of the Green Knowe series, except for An Enemy at Green Knowe which I found too scary! (I think it was all the black magic references and the 'thing'. One day, I will go to Hemingford Grey and see the place for myself - it is not that far away and perhaps 2019 will be the year for that visit...
      Have a lovely Christmas full of books and peacefulness too.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. I am a slow reader, which is one of the reason why I think I don't enjoy it. I don't have enough time to spend that much time reading. My daughter consumes books...hubby isn't a good reader either, so we've never known where she got her talent from. I did read to her constantly as a child. Tried hard to compensate for not reading myself when I was one.
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandy. There are so many lovely things to do vying for attention, it is a case of survival of the fittest, isn't it? It's lovely to hear that your daughter is a reader.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete