Tuesday 24 March 2020

The wonders of nature

 As we are staying at home as much as possible for the foreseeable future, it is rather kind of the weather to be giving us such sunny days.  (We have had some frosts overnight though).  I have been enjoying being out in the garden even more than usual and I think it will become more important to me this year.  Above is Clematis Rosy Pagoda.
 The ever faithful Lathyrus Vernus which I love to see every year.
 A double camellia given to me by my mum a while ago.  Although it may not be so good for insects, it still earns its place in the garden at this time of year.
 The beautiful blue sky behind the unfurling lilac and magnolia.
 Tulip 'Brown Sugar' getting ready to flower (this was last Saturday).
 Tulip Negrita also getting ready to flower.
 Brown Sugar today.  I would have liked to buy more of these tulips, but for the last two years they sold out before I could get to them.  They have lovely strong stems and (I will have to check) I think they are scented.
 Tulip Negrita today.
I was also rewarded by seeing this little ladybird enjoying nectar/pollen (my knowledge of ladybirds seems sadly lacking) from this rather bedraggled and nibbled Scilla.  (I was really pleased that my sometimes a little unpredictable camera produced this image.) 
Just a reminder that those little things that are so important and which I have rather taken for granted are still there, if I care to look and enjoy.

10 comments:

  1. Nature is just getting on as normal, She doesn’t care about the bipeds going into melt-down . . .

    But as always, your flowers are beautiful. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jayne. In a way, that's somehow rather comforting - whatever is going on with us, she just does what she does.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. Love your garden and so often find solace and heartbalm in mine.
    Nature is actually benefiting from the impact of the virus. Less traffic, less pollution. Which has to be a positive.
    Stay safe, stay well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, EC. I find I am looking at the garden more carefully, which is a good thing.
      There are lots of stories in the news about places, such as Venice, benefiting from less human activity. I hope this will serve as a wake up call to consider our behaviour but I fear we will quickly forget when this is over. We can hope.
      Stay safe and well too.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  3. Lovely you are enjoying good weather and can explore the garden, lovely flowers, nature just getting on with things as we all shall have to do, take care xcx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chrissie. There is talk of snow over the weekend, so it is a case of enjoy each day. It's another sunny one today too so I shall enjoy it when I can.
      Take care too.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  4. We have had some fantastic weather this week haven't we, and yes I have heard talk of snow this weekend too. I love your flowers, thank you for sharing them with us. I can recommend the Field Studies Council nature guides they have one on ladybirds amongst, many, others we love them as they are laminated so you can take them out and about what ever the weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, sustainablemum. The garden seems to be changing almost in front of my eyes and I hope the cold snap won't damage too many emerging plants. I should try to read up about native flora and fauna - now there's a project!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous....so many wonderful photo's of your lovely flowers. Just starting to see some of my Daffodils bloom, so your season is well ahead of mine. The Double Camellia is my favorite, the color! Bonus picture for sure of getting the Lady Bug in action. Right you are things we take for granted, as we work our way through this pandemic, perhaps we all will start noticing a bit more.
    Sandy's Space Stay Well!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandy. I think we are due some colder weather this weekend, so hope the tulips will be OK. The double camellia is a bit of a showstopper, isn't it? I need to pot it on after it has finished flowering.
      Best wishes and stay well too
      Ellie

      Delete