Sunday 13 December 2020

Advent Calendar Journal

I have been busy taking part in a free online course by the organiser of Wanderlust 2021, Kasia Avery.  Although it is described as an Advent Calendar, it doesn't really have anything to do with Christmas but is more about making a piece of art everyday for fourteen days.  There are prompts and there is also a video each day.  The first prompt was 'Wasting Time' and you can see my page above.

The next page I am sharing was 'Art is Freedom' where we had to choose a piece of art and then create something inspired by it.  I chose the 'Wilton Diptych' - images are from the National Gallery website.  I have seen this in the National Gallery and have always been struck by the colour.
Here's my piece, based on it - patterned gold which is in the background, the blue, roses which are in the angels' hair and a sort of feather pattern.
This prompt was 'Don't complain' - where we had to think about something we have found out this this year.  Having taken part in another course, I was encouraged to think of myself as an artist - someone who creates art - so I thought I should do something based on this.  The image is a gel press print, using soft pastels and a stencil.
Here is 'Bring some colour' where we had to have one colour we liked and then create different colour palettes around it.  The top one is the colours I would naturally be drawn to. I used a colour wheel to help me find split complementaries and triad colours.  
These are colours I would not naturally put together, so some experimentation is needed now, I think.  The course is certainly giving me some challenges.

10 comments:

  1. You are most DEFINITELY an artist and I am grateful to be shown some of your experimentation/learning/growing.
    Thank you - and I hope you are having a heap of fun along the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, EC. You are always so supportive of my artistic endeavours and that means a lot. This artistic journey of mine is certainly a learning process, but one I am really enjoying.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. Yes, you are an artist and always have been. Your creativity will also mean you will continue to be one <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Maria. It has taken me many years to feel confident in my skills, but I am really enjoying exploring what I like and what I can create. It is a vital part of my life to me now.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  3. Good for you, Ellie! I saw these classes advertised but I knew I just wouldn't have time to do them. I'm glad you did. But I'm looking forward to Wanderlust 2021, that's for sure. ~Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Andrea. I am looking forward to Wanderlust too and it is nice to think we can chat about it via our blogs, should we wish to!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  4. You're certainly having to think outside the box for this. I think prompts are good for getting you to step outside your comfort zone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo. You're right, this is certainly challenging me a bit, but in a good way.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  5. I enjoyed your artwork, dear Ellie - I hope you're enjoying the season.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amalia. I have two weeks off work for Christmas, so I am certainly going to enjoy that! More artwork will be produced, I'm sure.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete