Tuesday 16 November 2021

Tulips for 2022

 
I have finally started planting my tulips for next Spring.  I have gone for Brown Sugar (pictured above from this year)...
...Ronaldo (again pictured from this year)...
Ballerina (on the left, pictured from a couple of years ago, with Brown Sugar,  in the border)...
Beautiful blowsy Danceline (photo from a couple of years ago)...
...and just because I can, another photo of Ronaldo and Ballerina together (photo from a while ago). I do love the combination of orange and purple for tulips.
These are favourites and have proved to be a good buy as they have all come back once planted in the borders.  I also have some from last year which I need to plant in the borders, somewhere.  The borders are pretty full, so that may be a challenge!
  

I have also bought some double orange 'Sunlover' tulips, which I haven't grown before, for a couple of pots at the front and they need to be planted too - hopefully this week!

6 comments:

  1. Well there's nout more exciting than a tulip! Fine choices Ellie - love the orange and deep purple together. The double orange ones from Wilko look great. I am trying to stop myself buying more, as I have ran out of pots. I hear you on the border dilemna - where to put them all :0 I have last year's tulips, that I removed & dried -hmmmm... may give them a go in the front garden's border. Have a lovely weekend. Lulu xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lulu. I have just planted the double orange ones from Wilkos in a pot at the front. I still haven't planted last year's bulbs in the borders yet - perhaps tomorrow... I really should stop buying too, but they are so tempting!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. Beautiful! Do you replant your tulips everyyear? Or are you just added to what you've already had? I miss tulip's and should plant some. Used to have some, but things got over crowded and things grew on top of where the tulips were so when I thinned, many of the bulbs got dug up without my knowing what was what.
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandy. I replant the 'perennial' tulips (Ballerina, Ronaldo) in the border, having emptied them out of their pots and dried them in the shed. I have experimented this year and have replanted some from last year back into a pot - I'm not sure whether they will be any good, but we'll see. I also buy new bulbs each year, just in case the older ones die out and these go into pots for their first year. I do plant the older bulbs in the borders, in really deep holes and I have had some successes. They are so lovely and colourful and something I really look forward to seeing in Spring.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  3. I remember my mother sent me some Tulip bulbs a bit of awhile ago now. I had never grown tulips in a jar before then but all went well and I do remember they were a gorgeous splash of deep pink and the first thing that caught the eye when going in the kitchen. You've planted a really lovely assortment of colours and something to look forward to in the spring. Take care. Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amanda. I had not been keen on orange in the garden until I bought some 'Ballerina' tulips - now I am a convert! I am really looking forward to seeing them next April.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete