Tuesday 30 November 2021

Colour swatching

Colour swatching is one of my favourites things to do when I have got new paints/inks/crayons.  Previously, I put these into my techniques book but have recently decided to make a swatch book separately from anything else.  The pages of colour are just so satisfying to look at and make a very helpful directory so that I can see what I have and choose what I need to use for a project.  So far, I have done gouache paints,  sparkle inks, inktense pencils (my new favourite watercolour pencils), Woodys and Neo Colours. 

Lovely rainbows of colour...



These make me happy - so bright and colourful.  I still have dye inks, oxides, pigment inks, stickles, pixie powders and more watercolour pencils to do.  I can probably find other supplies that I need to make swatches for...

8 comments:

  1. They are incredibly bright and cheery - and I hope inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, EC. I hope they will also help me to keep track of what I have got and make use of it a bit more! If I ever have a craft room, I feel the walls would look a bit like this- colours/swatches and things all over the place!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. I like color, would be nice if I could so something like that with all my yarn, but .......there's so much of it and it takes so much space; that periodically I have to go to the basement open containers and bags to refresh my memory of what I have in order to decide what I might like to make next.
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandy. I have seen people make yarn colour swatches using clothes pegs (clothes pins) and wrapping a bit of wool around one. It would certainly be a project that would keep you busy!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  3. Oooh, very satisfying and jolly too! Beats the boring TV. I spent last night sorting through my colourful cotton bobbins. I like the sound of Inktense. Lulu x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lulu. I bought the smallest set of inktense (12) and found them to be nice to use as pencils and they blend with water well too. The blurb says once blended with water they become permanent (unlike other watercolour pencils), which is why I bought them, as I wanted to use them in my art journal, alongside acrylic paint, but I haven't tested that yet. If that is right, I may need to get the next set up...
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  4. Sorry I am so late to this and have been AWOL 😟

    Your colour swatches are gorgeous, little works of art. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jayne. Those little pages of colour make me very happy!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete