Thursday 2 February 2023

The garden in early February

I am pleased to say that the hellebores which were starting to flower in January have survived the frosts and are back looking good.  Above is Winter Sunshine.
Here is Hello Ruby...
...and Hello White Pearl.  Considering they had been flattened by the frosts, they have staged a terrific comeback.
Snowdrops are in flower too.  I love these seemingly delicate flowers.
These were some which I dug up (with permission) from my mum's previous garden.  
I do enjoy seeing them each year.
They are quite tall so may be an elwesii variety.
Other plants can be seen putting out tentative foliage.
Camellia Yoimachi is so pretty.
The rather sprawling and birds-nest like Winter flowering honeysuckle has really got into its stride...
...these tiny white flowers pack a punch of lily of the valley fragrance, but on a dull day, you have to get your nose right to the flower.
They are pretty little flowers. 
Finally for now, there are tulips starting to appear in the borders too.  It is all really exciting!

8 comments:

  1. It is an exciting time of year. Thanks for featuring some of the delights in your garden. My Sunday Selections will also be garden related.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, EC. I look forward to seeing what's happening in your garden too. The garden and I seem to be enjoying the slightly warmer temperatures at the moment but I don't think they will last!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. What a relief to know your flowers survived the frost. It would truly be a shame to loose so many goregous flowers. You have the greenist thumb!! I'm always amazed at how many gorgeous flowers you're able to grow.
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandy. I know that hellebores are pretty tough but wasn't sure how they would cope in a different area. I'm pleased they are OK. I grow plants that are hopefully suited to the conditions I have and keep Beth Chatto's mantra in mind (she was a famous and very good gardener here in the UK) 'Right plant, right place'.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  3. Such beautiful flowers, I am always amazed at anything that flowers at this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, sustainablemum. I agree - winter flowering plants have to be extra tough, I think, but are so welcome.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous! The top hellebore is exquisite. Each year I say I am going to get some more snowdrops in the green, then promptly forget :0 xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lulu. The 'Winter Sunshine' hellebore has been flowering away since I bought it and is still going strong. I do love a snowdrop and would like more in the borders too, but they only grow well in the shady border. i have some in pots, but they don't seem to like growing in pots so much.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete