Thursday 9 February 2023

Artful August Challenge - in January! Week Three

For 'Metal', I used an embossing folder and silver card for the centre panel, which I then distressed with acrylic paint and a dry brush technique.  The cogs and keys were stamped and then gilding flakes were applied.
A collage base with added 'Splatter', using some of my ephemera, stamps, die cuts and digi kit photos.
My 'Quote' was one about books - very appropriate as we have books in every room!
'Fold' was using some scrapbook paper and taking the the colours from the paper for the page.
If you unfold the paper, this rather serious face peers out at you.  My portraits have really improved over the last year and I do enjoy creating these small images. This was out of my imagination. 
'Abstract' gave me a chance to play with some new dies from Sizzix and Tim Holtz.  Originally, I was going to use the pieces that came out of the dies, but after having cut them, I loved the panels which were left, so used them instead.
'Paste' was simple, using texture paste through a stencil and then adding colour with watercolour pencils.
'Watercolour' was again using stencils, but with watercolour paint it gives a much gentler effect.  A stamp gave me the foreground image and some gold splatters finished it off.
One more post to come...
 

4 comments:

  1. These are all so lovely Ellie. I particularly love the last one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, sustainablemum. I am really enjoying using watercolours and am experimenting with what they can do, following the watercolour theme from last year's art journaling course. This technique using watercolour through stencils has appeared on a few cards for people recently.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. Oh yes, very metal Ellie! Love the face peering out. Reminds me of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe for some reason xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lulu. My faces are improving although they seem to tend to the serious/sad/downright grumpy expression-wise! The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe - that's a great book (but my favourite of the Narnia series is the first one, The Magician's Nephew, which seems to be neglected when it comes to dramatisations).
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete