Sunday 26 May 2024

RHS Chelsea Flower Show 2024

It was the RHS Chelsea Flower Show last week.  I have never been in person (I think the numbers of people would not be conducive to an enjoyable visit), but I watch all the TV coverage avidly.  There are always some gardens, or elements in gardens that appeal to me and all the photos are from the RHS Chelsea website.
I liked the Bridgerton garden designed by Holly Johnston and inspired by a character in the TV series Bridgerton ( I haven't watched the series).  This garden can be seen in the first four photos here.  The moongate was very beautiful and draws the eye through.
I wasn't keen on the tiered fountain, but loved the stone seats set into the wall.  
Lots of  pastel flowers surrounded the sunken seating area.  I would be very happy if this was outside my back door (with a different water feature, of course!)
The 'Terrence Higgins Trust Bridge to 2030 Garden' designed by Matthew Childs was inspired by the slate quarries in Wales and also by the scary Aids information film with a huge tombstone crashing down, which was seen in the 1980s.  The 'tombstone' had become a bridge here, with the hope of no more Aids cases by 2030.  There was some beautiful naturalistic planting here too. 
The Muscular Dystrophy UK – Forest Bathing Garden designed by Ula Maria won best in show.  I like this woodland style planting.
The National Garden Scheme Garden, designed by Tom Stuart Smith was probably my favourite garden overall.  I love the NGS and have been to many gardens opening under this scheme and raising money for charity.
Again, there was a woodland feel with calming shades of green and white.
There was an extremely well appointed building (too posh to be called a shed) with a cooker, gardening tools and a table inside.  I like the water trough outside too.
The Octavia Hill Garden by Blue Diamond with the National Trust, designed by Anne Marie Powell won the Children's Choice award as well as the People's Choice award (voted for by visitors to the show as well as tv viewers).  I particularly like those carved benches.
The planting was more vibrant in this garden too.
The St James’s Piccadilly: Imagine the World to be Different garden was inspired by the ruins of St James' church, Piccadilly, built by Sir Christopher Wren.  Elements of this garden will be going to St Pancras, Euston Road.  Other parts of the garden will be going to the real St James' Church.  I like the peacefulness of this courtyard setting.

I particularly liked the S shaped stone bench and the naturalistic planting in the Burma Skincare Initiative Spirit of Partnership Garden designed by Helen Olney.
So, what do my choices say about what I like?  Naturalistic planting, woodland planting, seats, and formal areas with exuberant planting seem to be the themes here. Ultimately, I always ask myself "would I like this outside my back door?" 

8 comments:

  1. I suspect you get a better view on television (the cameras can go places people can't) as well as less people. I am with you on most of the things you like (with formal plantings well down the list). Thank you for sharing some of the magic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, EC. Yes, I agree that we get a better view on TV as the cameras actually go onto the gardens and for the visitors, that's not usually an option. There has also been a push for sustainable materials and the gardens having a life after Chelsea too, which are both good things in my view.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. Beautiful. Oh how I would love to see this in person, but agree with Elephant about the TV camera. I imagine in person though you get wonderful scents along the way as well. Perhaps going on a non special day is the answer to avoid crowds. Crowds would make it less enjoyable for sure. Thanks for sharing.
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandy. Yes, I am sure that the scents are wonderful and the atmosphere just wouldn't be the same on TV. I have been to some smaller shows and I enjoyed them, although it is a tiring day. I think the celebrities/press get the chance to go to Chelsea on the Monday and then RHS members on the Tuesday, then general public from Wednesday onwards.
      The TV coverage is very good.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  3. Hello Ellie, ooh yes please to that beautiful woodland garden!..and the posh shed 'construct'. I remember those terrifying AIDS adverts in the 80s :0 :0 ! Didn't get chance to see any of the coverage of the show so great to see some highlights here :) xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lulu. It would be nice to have a woodland area and the posh shed! Yes, those adverts were terrifying and with the benefit of hindsight, probably didn't help in any way. There is less stigma now, but it is still there. I enjoyed the coverage and we viewers did get to actually see all round the gardens, rather than just from the outside.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  4. Lovely to see the different designs. I haven't seen much of the coverage on television this year. I like the more natural and woodland gardens:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rosie. There seemed to be more emphasis on naturalistic planting and sustainability, which is a good thing.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete