We recently needed to get a new fridge-freezer so took the opportunity to stock take the freezer drawers and discovered we had blackberries and blueberries from 2025 which needed to be eaten. I decided to make a sauce with them. I tipped a load of each into a saucepan, added 2 dessertspoons of icing sugar and gently simmered them. When they were soft (about ten minutes-ish), I mashed them with the potato masher and then passed them through a metal sieve to get rid of the pips.
I find that blueberries don't have that much taste on their own, but combined with the blackberries, it is a marriage made in heaven! We have it over vanilla ice-cream and also swirled into natural yogurt, with or without a chopped banana. It is absolutely delicious and a really good use for those berries. A real taste of late Summer/early Autumn.

Isn't it nice to be rewarded for getting a chore done. The sauce looks yummy.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Lisa and welcome. Yes, it always feels good when you manage to achieve something! The sauce is delicious - I have just made some more today as we have just finished off the last bowlful!
DeleteBest wishes
Ellie
A combination of blackberries and blueberries . . . definitely yum :)
ReplyDeleteAll the best Jan
Thanks, Jan. It is definitely yum - I made some more yesterday as it isn't lasting long in our house!
DeleteBest wishes
Ellie
Oh My Ellie ... that looks SOoooo delicious. I wish I could scratch my screen for a taste test!!! xx
ReplyDeleteThanks, Julie. I wish you could too - it is really lovely. I will be enjoying it again later today, I am sure!
DeleteBest wishes
Ellie
That is a really good use of freezer fruit - guess what I am off to do 😊
ReplyDeleteThanks, kjsutcliffe. I can recommend it! We added some over the top of a slice of lemon drizzle cake yesterday and that worked really well too!
DeleteBest wishes
Ellie
Looks absolutely delicious.
ReplyDeleterkrsrue.blogspot.com
Thanks, R's Rue and welcome. It is delicious and it is good to be able to use the fruit up too.
DeleteBest wishes
Ellie