Monday 1 July 2013

Roses

 Finally, my roses are blooming and I just had to cut a few and bring them in.  They are Ferdinand Pichard, Rosa Mundi, Gertrude Jekyll, Geoff Hamilton and Mary Rose.  (You may also have spotted a stray astrantia that sneaked in the top photo).
More of the same, but without the astrantia and with more Ferdinand and Gertrude added in.  The scent wafts around the sitting room and is wonderful.  Roses are one of my favourite plants and given a half acre garden, I would grow many more varieties.  In my small back garden, I have crammed ten of them, but would love more.  One day...

6 comments:

  1. Your roses are so beautiful. My Ferdinand Pichard has sadly expired over the long cold winter and I must replace her. I love these old-fashioned scented varieties. Enjoy! E x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear E
      Thank you. I am sorry that you lost your Ferdinand Pichard rose - I lost my Margaret Merrill rose last winter too. I think it was the combination of the cold and wet which finished her off, sadly. I don't have the space to replace her, but she is on the wish list for my next garden (one day). I am really enjoying the beautiful scents.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. They are just lovely. I can imagine they smell wonderful. I don't have nearly enough roses in my garden, i must rectify that! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Gillian
      Thank you. They do smell lovely but have gone over now so I need to cut some more. I noticed my rather pathetic-looking sweet peas are starting to flower too (something I doubted would ever happen) so I may add some of them as well.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  3. hello
    your roses are sooooooooooooooooo beautiful.Ferdinand pichard stand on my wishlist.
    have a nice weekend,
    regina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Regina
      Thank you. Ferdinand Pichard is a beautiful rose with a lovely scent too. I have had this in the garden for one year and it has flowered really well this summer. I hope it will continue to do well for me, and for you, when you buy it.
      I hope you have a lovely weekend too.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete