Well, here I am again, sharing the progress I have made with my autumnal tree.
As you can see, I have stitched the outline (using a mixture of my version of stem stitch and a few backstitches thrown in for good measure.)
Here's a closer view (you can tell that it has taken on a character of its own now).
This afternoon, I sewed on a few leaves, using backstitch again. I'm not quite sure it is how I imagined...it certainly doesn't look much like the original, but then I have made it my own! I'll keep going with the leaves and then need to decide what to do with the trunk/branches. I am really enjoying the freedom of being able to 'make it up as I go'.
Here's a reminder of the original design (I was just doing the autumn part).