...here is my finished embroidery - yes, I have actually finished! The bark pattern took me a while because I tried a couple of different stitches with a couple of different numbers of strands of thread, but in the end, decided on one strand and stem stitch again, so undid it several times before I got it right.
You can still see the purple pen lines but these will fade in a day or two.
Then I started on making it into a decoration. Here's the underside (I was surprised by how neat this ended up).
Here's the finished decoration from the front...
...and the back, using some vintage fabric (originally used for curtains by someone, but given a new life by me in this project). Chris and I both felt that the colours suited the tree very well.
Here's the decoration on the seasonal tree, alongside some woodland animal pegs (excellent and unexpected find at Wilkinsons). However, I think I need to make some felt leaves to add a bit more interest to the tree, which still looks a bit bare.
I am delighted with the finished decoration and have really enjoyed this little project. I have a few more in mind, so will be continuing Stitching Sundays for a while longer yet.