Amazingly, I have actually started stitching onto my felt background and I am quite pleased with the effect so far. I started with the large seed heads at the back and the intention is to move to the middle ground and finish with the foreground, building up the stitching in layers.
I have used my favourite split stitch and french knots for these seed heads and I feel that it looks quite effective. Although the thread looks white in the photo, it is a pale beige colour which echoes the colours of the original seed heads in the original roadside verge. I hope to make some more progress for next week, but at least I have finally got it started!