Sunday 29 December 2013

Stitching Sundays 17


I hope you all had a lovely Christmas. Stitching Sunday has come round again and I have a little more progress to share with you.  I have added in a few seed head-type plants in the mid ground.  I needed a bit of thinking time as I wasn't sure quite how to tackle these and my first thought was to applique some tiny pieces of felt in order to get the look I wanted.  However, in reality, the tiny pieces of felt just didn't work at all.
(It probably doesn't look much in this photo, so I have added a couple of close ups below in order that all my hard work will be easier to see!)
 I turned to the trusty split stitch for the stem and then double french knots at the base of the stem, moving to single french knots towards the top.  I used six wraps round the needle to make the french knots bigger.
Although I did have a few issues when the thread decided to helpfully get tangled right in the middle of the knot construction, (and this happened quite a few times) I am pleased with the result, which adds more texture to the embroidery as well.  I am slowly moving onwards and the next thing will be the dandelion seed heads.  I have tried these already, with no success at all, so am going to use one piece of thread, rather than my usual three, so that I should get a more delicate stitch.  That is the hope, anyway.

14 comments:

  1. That looks really lovely - looking forward to seeing it finished x Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jane. I'm looking forward to seeing it finished too - not quite sure when that will be yet, though!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. Ellie, it really is looking gorgeous. Hope that you have had a lovely Christmas. Jille x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jille. It is definitely progressing, slowly but surely! I had a very nice Christmas, thanks and hope you did too. Here's to a happy, healthy and craft-filled 2014!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  3. It's looking great Ellie. Happy New Year x x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joy. It is starting to take shape. Hope you have a Happy New Year too.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  4. Wow Ellie, this is looking gorgeous - well done :-)
    Wishing you & yours a happy, healthy and creative new year ahead. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gilly. It is slow but I am making progress! Happy New Year to you too.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  5. Looking good Ellie! Have fun with the rest of the stitches :), love from Mirjam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mirjam. I am enjoying trying out the stitches, even if I have to undo them (like the dandelion heads, which I have undone twice so far). Happy New Year to you.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  6. It's looking really great Ellie. Hope you have a wonderful 2014 X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anne. It is coming along! Have a very Happy 2014 too.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  7. It's looking great, I love the way you stitched those seed heads. I hope you had a wonderful Christmas Ellie, and wish you all the best for the New Year. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gillian. I am pleased with the progress I am finally making - perhaps I can aim to get it finished in 2014!
      My Christmas was very nice, thank you and I hope yours was too. Have a Happy and craft filled New Year.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete