Although there isn't that much to see yet, I have started my first tunic dress! I spent the majority of the lesson last week pinning and cutting out the pattern, which took ages, but I wanted to take my time and cut it as accurately as I could.
I then started sewing the pockets (having discovered that tacking bias binding is a very worthwhile exercise). Initially, I had some trouble as I had pressed the bias binding so that it wasn't quite equal on both sides, so when I tried to sew it, my stitches just fell off one side of the binding. Once it was tacked, I got on much better. You can see that I am using the 'rather loud' (Chris' words) material I bought at one of the vintage fairs back in September and I think it will look great. So, I have some sewing homework to do before my next lesson - shoulder seams, side seams and back seam and then attach the bias binding to the sleeve ends...(Sue, my tutor, said she though we could probably get the tunic dress nearly finished next lesson, with perhaps just the hem to do at home. I'll give it my best shot, anyway!)