Thursday 5 January 2017

A Frosty (but magical) Start

It has been quite frosty recently and some of the plants in the garden looked quite photogenic with a sprinkling of sparkle.  Above is a rose.
 The flower heads of an aster looked as though they had been dusted with icing sugar.
The two Blueberries, Blue Pearl, are hanging on to their leaves.
 A miscanthus looked ethereal with its flowers highlighted.
I have mislaid the label for this one, so am not sure which it is (Ferner Osten? Kleine Fontane?), but it stands beautifully upright.
 Hydrangea arborescens Annabelle looks lovely most of the time...
...in winter, the flower heads show lovely variations in tones of sepia...
...and look almost magical with the frost on them.

4 comments:

  1. Frost flowers are an elegant addition to the garden aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, EC. Yes, a dusting of frost made me look at these plants in a different way. They do look very elegant - even the decaying aster flower heads.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. Some people are too eager to snip off flower heads as soon as they are spent but they give a lovely structure to the garden in winter, especially when frosted. We're due more cold weather towards the back end of the week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo. I usually leave all the flower heads and old stems until Spring, as I enjoy having something to look at and also I am not a tidy person (my husband would definitely agree with me there!) I'm hoping it won't be too cold...
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete