Sunday 17 June 2018

Creative things...and learning important lessons

As I have amassed rather a huge papercrafting stash, including papers, stamps, dies, die cutting machines and various other tools to accompany the aforesaid things, I decided that the time had come to experiment and actually use some of the stash.  I had noted down a few ideas and so had a go in my sketchbooks.  Above are watercolour backgrounds with stamped images.  They worked pretty well, though I did need to stamp twice as the paper was textured. 
I then had a go at stamping and colouring with watercolour pencils, which was surprisingly effective and reasonably quick to do too.
 Here is my favourite stamp set from Altenew - Folksy Florals.  I like the Scandinavian retro feel to these simple flowers and enjoyed building up the colours and patterns.  I have now got the corresponding die set too so will be able to cut out the flowers and leaves accurately.  They are just so cheerful.
At the top of the page is an Altenew Stencil which gives a lovely  watercolour effect using inks.  At the bottom of the page is an embossed leaf stamp which I coloured with watercolour paints.
It was my sister's birthday, so I made her a card using hydrangea stamps and the large image in the centre is embossed and watercoloured too.  One of the great things about stamps is that you can decorate the envelope too. 
I have plans to create some cards with positive sentiments to have on my wall at work, so they will be the next project.
In other news, you may remember that I was going to make the tunic dresses featured above.  I made a toile first as I knew that the shoulders would probably need altering.  I had also read on other blogs that the pattern on the left was not designed for curvy figures and the ties were too high up and hit a fuller bust in the wrong place.  Armed with this knowledge, I brought them down to waist level.  I also thought the pockets were a bit too big, so used a pocket from another pattern.  So, I worked away, making the necessary alternations as I went and happily sewing.  Here's the finished product. 
(It does need an iron, which I really should have done before taking a photo.)
Here's the back.  So, I was very pleased with myself and tried the finished garment on.  There was just one problem...I didn't like it, not at all, not one bit.  I looked like I was wearing a sack - not flattering at all. 
So, what could I do?  Well, I could donate it, or alter it again.  I measured it against the tunic dress pattern I have made before and it would work, so I unpicked it all and have started re-making it. I will post a photo once I have finished.  So, lesson learned - some styles just don't suit me, so I should stick to the things which do.  I am going to make the other pattern up next though and I have made a toile and tried it on.  It's a simple shape with a tie belt and I think it will work nicely - let's hope it does...

4 comments:

  1. Good luck. My impatient self gets frustrated and walks away too easily.
    I do love and admire your creativity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, EC. It was rather frustrating, but I didn't want to waste the material if I could re-jig it somehow. I really enjoy the creative part of my life - it is a necessary and important contrast to the working part. (As I am getting older, I realise just how important it is).
      I do find it sad that the UK education system has all but removed creativity from the curriculum and I also feel that this has had a huge impact in the mental health and wellbeing of children, teenagers and young adults.
      I had better stop now as I will be getting on my soapbox again otherwise!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. In the past I have made so many things and then discarded them because they looked awful, but saying that, I have made oodles of stuff that was great and lasted for years. The card for your sister is beautiful.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Briony. Even the toile didn't look as bad as the finished version. I think moving the ties altered the way the garment hung and it just didn't work for me. I have seen other people's versions on blogs and they are happy with them, so it is just me on this one. Hey ho, move on!
      I was really happy with the card for my sister too - it looked like I hoped it would.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete