Thursday 28 June 2018

More Sewing

I have had mixed success with the patterns above. I wrote about them here. As you may remember, I made the one on the left, which I wrote about here changing the positioning of the ties and it looked awful on, so I decided to see whether I could alter it, rather than waste the material.
 So, I altered it.
 Now it looks like this.  I'm still not sure it is a total success, but at least I will actually wear it.
 Here's the back.

Then I made the one on the right.  I had to change the rather odd (in my view) pocket detail to the patch pocket which I like and I also had to make the neckline narrower.  Even after altering the pattern, the neckline was still too wide, so I added a few darts.  (I have since altered the pattern again, so hopefully it will be right now).  I also added the contrast material onto the end of the belt tie too.
 Here it is.  It was easy to make (despite my alterations) and I am pleased to report that it looks nice on.  (Even Chris said it was OK, so that was good).
 Here's the back view.
It is a loose fit and could be worn without the belt.  I am going to make several more, using up some of my rather large material stash.  I am also going to use the cheerful bird fabric from the pink pinafore as the contrast too (just because I really like that material), but with a different main material.  There will be more photos as I progress.

4 comments:

  1. Well done you. If blood sweat and tears are involved I can follow a pattern. Altering it is not a happening thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, EC. I am not the most confident when it comes to altering patterns and can only make simple alterations, but hopefully the neckline will work for me now. Luckily, there are loads of helpful posts and videos out there to help too.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. I fancied doing a bit of dress making and went to look at the patterns, I could not believe how expensive they were.
    Shows how long it is since I did any. lol
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Briony. You do have to shop around for a good deal. I tend to find a pattern I like and then make several versions of it, just so that I feel I'm getting my money's worth!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete