Tuesday 20 August 2019

The ebb and flow of hobbies

I am a person who has a lot of hobbies.  Reading, Crafting, Gardening, Jewellery making, Baking...the list goes on.  In 'Crafting', there is a whole load more - Sewing, Lino Printing, Silk painting, Gelli plate printing, Card making, Felt making, Paper crafting, Art Journaling...
As with everything, there is an ebb and flow and I have decided to put some of my hobbies on the back burner for the moment. Felt making is one - for a few reasons:
  • Felt making is an autumn/winter occupation for me as it is a very physical activity with all the rolling that is necessary to felt the wool
  • I need to devote a whole morning to making a few pieces
  • I need to clear the whole of the table to work on
  • I made so much for the craft fair a few years ago, I am a bit 'felted out' still and I am just not feeling all that inspired to make felt pieces at the moment
Lino printing and silk painting are other hobbies which I am not doing at the moment either, even though I do enjoy them.  Jewellery making was also something I was doing a lot of (and spending a lot on, of course!), but now it is more if I need something for a birthday or something for me (I do need to make some blue earrings for myself).

My other crafts are easier to set up and tidy away and I can do some of them for just a few minutes should I need to.  Of course, this doesn't mean I won't come back to felting (particularly in the autumn and winter) but that other things have more of an interest to me at present.
 I am loving the gelli plate printing and have been following a tutorial and making 'galaxies' as well as learning more about layers.   
Here are some of my galaxy prints.  I also created some interesting ghost prints on the way to making these.
 I am continuing to work in my art journals - the rainbow textured page above...
...and the printed page below are two of my most recent (the washi tape says 'let's enjoy this day' but doesn't show up well in the photo).  I really enjoy the way I can pick up a page, do a bit and then put it down again as the mood strikes me.  Card making is always useful and I shall continue that too - little projects that have a finished product as well as an enjoyable process.
So, I shall continue with the hobbies that I am interested in and no doubt, there will be more activities which come and go with time.  One great thing about hobbies though, they will wait patiently until you pick them up again.

6 comments:

  1. When you are an all round crafter it's sometimes difficult isn't it. I often think I should get rid of this and that because I haven't done it for ages but I know if I do I will regret it. I'm in a lull with everything at the moment but my dear Tom keeps reassuring me that I will get back to it soon.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Briony. It is difficult and I don't want to get rid of any of my stash either because I am sure I will want to revisit the crafts again. I have found that you do need to be in the right frame of mind to craft otherwise the end result can be a bit disappointing. I think Tom is right - you'll go back to it in time.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. How nice to have obsessions/hobbies which will wait patiently for you.
    And, as always, my decidedly non creative self is awed at the beauty you produce.
    Your sheep still have pride of place here, and are much admired by visitors. Who can't have them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, EC. Obsessions is probably a better description! Certainly my spending have moved to stamps, dies, paints, embossing powders, stencils etc.
      I enjoyed making the sheep, but they take a few hours of needle felting. Again, another thing that will wait for me (I would really like to make a needle felted hare...)
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  3. Oh, super, super post. My hobbies/obsessions do the same thing. Generally, these days I find the time of year and weather influence what comes to the fore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jayne. It is all about what you feel like doing - going against that flow seldom works for me. My gel plates seem to be at the fore at the moment.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete