Saturday 10 August 2019

Things to enjoy in the garden

 Despite the odd weather - it is really windy today which is unusual for August - there is still lots that I am enjoying in my little garden.  Butterflies have been visiting the buddleia - a tortoiseshell above.
 The combination of agapanthus and roses is making me smile.
A peacock butterfly on the buddleia.
 
 My cosmos were severely curtailed by slugs and snails, but the ones that have survived are flowering well.  The white stripe on 'Dazzler' intrigued me.
 A new rose this year, Olivia Rose Austin, looking perfect.  This rose so far has proved to be healthy and considering this is the first year with me, has been very floriferous.  There is a slight fragrance but it is delicate.
 Hibiscus Syriacus Oiseau Bleu still flowering away and adding a touch of the exotic.
 I forget about this phlox and each year it comes back, delighting me with the sugar pink flowers.  It is in poor soil, behind a rose bush, but despite that, it seems to be happy.
 Clematis Wyevale which has a soap-like fragrance and these small blue flowers held on thick stems.
 Rose Winchester Cathedral, with a second flush of flowers.
 Rose Olivia Rose Austin again - I love the flower shape of this rose. 
 Rose The Pilgrim - my only yellow rose.
When I see the japanese anemone 'Bowles' Pink' flowering, it is heralding the end of summer but in a joyous and colourful way. 
Japanese Anemone Bressingham Glow which continues to brighten the garden.

8 comments:

  1. Loving your garden. As I do all gardens whatever the season (except in the height of our summer). David Austan roses are always a joy.
    On this side of the world I am watching early daffodils, the crocus, and a few other gems. And thinking bad thoughts about the sulphur-crested vandals who shredded my anenomes. And the geraniums. Who neatly snipped off the emerging tulip leaves. And the iris...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, EC. I had to rescue my magnolia in a pot which had been blown over in the wind. It is a big plant in a big pot so the wind must have been strong. The other casualty was an agapanthus which had been knocked over and thrown out of its pot. We gardeners do have to cope with whatever nature throws at us whether it is weather or animal/bird related, don't we (and it can be really frustrating!)
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. Beautiful flowers Ellie. One of my agapanthus has failed to flower this year, the other had seven blooms. I have a blue and a pink hibiscus, both of which are flowering well. My favourite time of year is when the magnolias and camellias bloom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pat. I do like Spring too and have several magnolias and camellias.
      I thought agapanthus had to be pot bound to flower well, but it seems not - they like to be repotted upwards each year and divided only when the pots get too big! They also like a bit of feed. Mine are certainly better having been potted on this year.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  3. Your flowers are beautiful. Can't believe you managed to get 2 pictures of butterflies! That's awesome. Most of my Rose of Sharon's are currently blooming. I have a few of the pinks, some whites, but mostly the lavender ones I like the pinks the best...figures, right!

    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandy. I was lucky to get the butterfly photos and took quite a few - these are what I thought were the best ones. It's lovely to see the hibiscus in flower as they look so exotic to me! If I had more space, I would have more of them.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  4. Your garden is beautiful. The number of flowers you have in bloom puts mine to shame :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jayne. Bits of my garden are really lovely, but the whole is rather a mish mash with no great planning. That's why I tend to focus on individual plants, or groups of plants! I still love my little space though.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete