Sunday 3 November 2019

Creating cards (and new stamps and dies)

I have been busy with more making (and purchasing...) recently and here is a round-up.  It's not often I need to make a card like the one above, but I was pleased with the end result and I hope the recipient liked it too.
This was for my nephew and I used the spotlight effect again which gave a sort of 'now you see it, now you don't' optical effect.
It's a bit easier to see in the close up.
Another more masculine card, for my brother-in-law.
I enjoyed making this card for my sister and I hope she liked it.
I also stamped the envelope.
Playing with some background dies has been fun too.
This one used a die cut as a stencil, with pixie powders (coloured powders with shimmery mica powder added to them which activate with water) sprinkled through and sprayed with water.  You never know what effect you will get.
I have been watching lots of youtube videos - this watercolour was inspired by 'creationsceecee' who does some lovely pieces.  I like watercolours but am not very good with them, so was pleased with these flowers.
More new dies which I think will be versatile as they can be used in lots of different ways.
More dies (used before but in great condition) and a new stamp set from one of my favourite companies, Visible Image
Here's a couple of the dies cut out and I shall be using these for Christmas cards, in different coloured glitter papers/card, I think. 
Finally, a new stamp set from another of my favourite companies, Altenew, (an American company, but there are stockists in the UK, such as Seven Hills Crafts) who are known for their layered designs.  This one is in three parts, flowers with two sets of leaves and they create the floral roundel on the left, which is really pretty.  
I am really enjoying my card making and papercrafting journey, although I have the sneaking suspicion that no matter how big my stash gets, it will never be complete, because there is always another stamp set, die, type of card, mixed media product that will appear and I have no willpower!  As long as I can afford it, that's fine...

8 comments:

  1. You are so talented, your cards are beautiful. I think my favourites are definitely the 8th card (stars and pixie powders) and your last one - the floral roundel. Your finished cards make it all look so simple, and I suspect it is anything but 🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jayne. As with any craft, I think it really helps to use good quality materials. I feel that my cards are gradually looking more professional and I do enjoy being able to tailor the card to the person. There are so many techniques with papercrafting and I am really enjoying learning about them. Alongside the card making, I am working steadily on my second art journal and will share some images from that soon.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. I am in awe, these are all amazing. Like Jayne has said you make it look so simple. I love painting with watercolours, like any craft they take some getting used to and like you I am not always happy with the finished results but it is fun to give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, sustainablemum. I really enjoy trying new products and new techniques - some work for me, some don't, but I agree, it is fun to give it a go.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  3. Awe and wonder.
    I do (as always) love your cards. Lucky, lucky recipients - who have a gift to treasure.
    And don't we all need a splash of pixie dust in our days...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, EC. You are very kind. I really enjoy playing with paper and mixed media and it is great when things turn out as you hope. Pixie powder is wonderful stuff to play with and I like the way you are not quite sure what effect you will get but the photos never quite capture the pearly sheen it has.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  4. Beautiful cards, I´m sure everyone who receives your cards will treasure them. I have a little dabble in cards but its not really my thing and I don´t have the lovely products (or probably the technical know how) you have to make inspiring cards xcx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chrissie. It's thanks to clever people who post on youtube or who demo on craft channels that I am improving and constantly learning new techniques. It has become my latest obsession!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete