Thursday 21 November 2019

First frost of the winter

It had to happen, didn't it?  We had the first frost of the winter this week.  I went out with my camera to capture these images before the sun melted it.  I was reminded that I haven't finished insulating my pots yet, so I do need to get on with that job.  Above is Hydrangea Annabelle, who often features throughout the year.
 Rose Gertrude Jekyll looking as though someone has sprinkled the leaves with icing sugar.
 The blueberries also looked lovely.
 Here's Annabelle again.
 This is Aster Little Carlow looking really quite graceful with frost on every dead flower.
 With the colder weather, I have been rewarded by this amazing colour display by Lysimachia Clethroides.  I bought it after watching Carol Klein extolling its virtues on the Chelsea coverage (I think, but it may have been Tatton Park or Hampton Court as I watched all of the Show coverage this year).  It has been in its pot since I bought it, putting on a bit of growth, with lovely green leaves and then this happened.
It is amazing and the colour zings out, particularly on a dull November day.
I am really impressed with it and am looking forward to seeing it grow next year and possibly flower.  It has long white flower heads which droop over, so it sounds interesting.  Apparently, it can be invasive but I am hoping it will be happy in a pot. (I have just been comparing this plant with photos on websites and the leaves of this one look a bit different from the ones on the websites although the descriptions of autumn colour sounds right.  We shall see...) 
I have also possibly done completely the wrong thing and pruned my hibiscus syriacus oiseau bleu pretty viciously.  It was getting too big and leaning madly over the border in a drunken fashion.  I love this plant so am hoping that I haven't killed it, but I will just have to wait and see on that as well.  My pruning book said they can be pruned during their dormant period and it is dormant, but I think I may have got a bit lopper-happy!  If the worst happens and I have killed it, I will be buying a replacement and will try to keep that one more under control.)  It's all part of the joys of gardening!

6 comments:

  1. Right you are Ellie, all part of joys of gardening. Good luck on the pruning thing, but I know my Dad who had a tremendous green thumb always believed in cutting things back and his garden was gorgeous. So fingers crossed that works for you as well. I've never seen that plant, what wonderful color for this time of the year when everything is so dull, gray, and colorless. Our first frost was quite awhile ago, so really nothing left of interest to see. We've had our first snow as well, and freezing rain. I really dislike this time of the year. Normally I get out and trim everything and get rid of all the dead drops and leaves, but with the Vertigo I had that kept me from being able to do the normal fall clean up. Which means the Spring clean up will be a bigger job than normal...........boo, but as you say, the joys of gardening. Great pictures, capturing the frost the way you did.
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Sandy. I like a blue sky, sunny but cold winter day; however, so far all we have had has been rain (with that one frost). We have been lucky so far regarding water levels, but we are not into winter proper yet. It must be so awful for the people who have been flooded (and they are not too far away from where we are).
    It's good that the garden will wait for its clean up until you are feeling better - I hope that you will soon start to recover from your vertigo.
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it when all the plants are covered in a layer of frost like that, I went to get some kale from the garden and it shed its ice all over the kitchen floor when I bought it back in. I have yet to do all of my pruning for the season, hope you play survives its haircut. I love the colour of those leaves, definitely one to brighten up these dull November days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, sustainablemum. The frost did look very pretty and the bright sunshine was most welcome and made a lovely change from the dull and grey days. I am a bit worried that I might have overdone the pruning but will watch anxiously next year.
      I shall also watch the lysimachia with interest during the next growing season.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  4. Gardens are so photogenic when covered with a layer of frost. We had a lot of frosty days the week before last but it's warmed up again since, I'm not complaining though, how I hate the cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo. Since that frosty day, we seem to have had rain, grey skies and dull days. I'm with you though, I don't enjoy the cold much either (unless it's a beautiful, sunny wintry day and I am well wrapped up!)
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete