Thursday 17 September 2020

Late summer into Autumn in the garden

There is a definite change in the air now.  Apart from the unusually hot days this week, the overall feeling has been cooling.  There is still lots to enjoy in the garden, but watering has to be done before 7.30 pm as it starts to get too dark to see by then.  Above is Penstemon Garnet which is in a pot and has come through quite a few winters.
Clematis Alpina Rosy Pagoda still brings interest with the fluffy seedheads.
They are so tactile.
Rose Shakespeare 2000, which took a while to decide to flower but kept on going once it was.
Crocosmis Emily Mackenzie bringing some scorching hot orange to the mix.
Geranium sanguineum striatum leaves starting to colour up.
Hydrangea Sundae Fraise (I think).
This was my newest Hydrangea (paniculata Little Spooky)  a few weeks ago...
...here it is now, looking gorgeous!
Creamy lime green flowers.
Good old Liriope Muscari which gets completely neglected but which flowers through the autumn.
Rose Olivia Rose Austin (who has featured many times since she was purchased), giving us another flush of roses to enjoy.
Dwarf cosmos adding fuchsia pink to the pastels.
Asters starting to come into flower. 
Clematis New Love in the border. It has a pleasant fragrance which reminds me a bit of soap.
Anemone Bressingham Glow which has been in flower for weeks and is a joy to see.

14 comments:

  1. There's still plenty of colour in the garden, but I agree, although we've had some lovely days this week, autumn is creeping in. It seems early this year but the days are getting shorter too, it's dark way too early for my liking now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo. I like autumn, especially when the days are sunny, but there is also the feeling that the year is turning. I tried to water my pots at 7.30 pm the other evening and had to admit defeat - I couldn't see!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. My goodness, Ellie.... such eye candy. Thank you! ~Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Andrea. I love to see colour in the garden and my plan was to have something to look at for every month. I'm not quite there yet, but I keep trying!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  3. I'd forgotten about Penstemon, we used to grow them on our allotment. Such a lot of beautiful flowers you have in your garden. I wish ours was larger.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Briony. I wish my garden was larger too - it is completely packed and getting down the path can be interesting sometimes! I only have this penstemon, but it has proved to be a good reliable plant.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  4. Loving your garden.
    Is the Shakespeare rose also a David Austin? It has the look. I was intrigued to note that you talk of roses as 'she'. I do too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, EC. Yes, Shakespeare 2000 is a David Austin. I think 99% of my roses are.
      It is usually down to their name whether I think of roses as male or female. However, when you have 'Winchester Cathedral' or 'Harlow Carr', it makes it more difficult! Olivia Rose Austin is definitely female!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  5. Your Rose Shakespeare 2000. Wow.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amalia. This particular rose took a long time to flower this year, but was very beautiful once it did flower.
      It is a David Austin rose.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  6. Wow your flowers are wonderful. I need you to come and make my garden more colourful I think. It is looking a bit battered and colourless at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, sustainablemum. I am a big fan of asters for this time of year and the perennial sunflower (Helianthus Lemon Queen) which can both be a bit thug like, but which the insects love and which also give lots of colour at this time of year. Things are starting to slow down a bit, but it's bulb planting time, so that is always lovely!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  7. I read a comment the other day where the writer mentions that it was sad to see how how everything was beginning to look drab in the gardens now Autumn was setting in. I rather think that person has not seen your garden and some of the others who I follow here on blogland. On viewing your photos your garden is still a mass of colour...so beautiful!! keep well Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amanda. I am trying my best to have something interesting to look at through every season. I like the asters which bring a splash of colour and are enjoyed by the bees. Cosmos are great too as they flower until the first frosts. It's all abut the colour for me!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete